Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Weekend

Sometimes the problem with reading Southern books is the fact they make you very hungry. Most of the food described is dishes I'm not going to prepare or we don't have close access to fresh homegrown veggies. Since I have been reading this past week of stories set in long ago times and other stories of the recent past, I decided to make a true Southern meal in my vintage 1970's avocado green crock pot. I am making fresh black eye peas and pecan smoked sausage mixed together with all kinds of flavorings. Tastes pretty good. Made a quick trip to the Play Grocery Store for cornbread. We tried the Central Market cornbread and Play Grocery Store wins that one hands down.


We had a very enjoyable Easter weekend. On Thursday evening we went to Broken for You. It is one of my favorite services at Houston's First Baptist. Dr. Glazer, the speaker for the evening was so good and added quite a bit of laughter to the service. I think it took away some of the somber mood that was hoped for, but it was just like he said, life is mixed with the bitter and the sweet. Friday, I went to the land of Sugar for a haircut. I even got out there early enough to run to Super Target and get some Diet Cokes. After the haircut, I went straight to the club to work out. I did a particularly hard workout. Came home got cleaned up and Roy and I went to Fu's for a late lunch. Wow, I cannot get enough of their Orange Flavored Chicken. The weather was beautiful, so we put the top down and headed over to Border's Books on Kirby. Found a couple of interesting books and then headed over to the West University area of town to drive around. It was a very pleasant evening. On Saturday we worked around here and then went to my parents to help my dad with some computer problems. It took longer than expected so I worked in washing the car and taking a nap while there. Roy and I went to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. We have not been there in months, but I love all their lemon flavored food, so we took the opportunity. Sunday of course, Easter. Roy had prayer time so he went early to pray. Dena picked me up and we went to the 9:10 service. That was an awesome celebratory service of Christ Risen from the grave. Afterwards Dena and I visited with friends in the hallway while Roy finished up his work in the Connection Center. We beat the rain and got to brunch before the downpour and we left when it was just light rain. We knew it was storming but we were enjoying our meals and each other too much to really notice. I think Roy is easily entertained and amused by Dena and me. She dropped us off at home and I hit the bed as quickly as I could for a nap. I slept 3 hours.


Of course I should add some spiritual thoughts but that will have to come later. There are things around here calling my name to take care of and oh one of those things just might be a nap.

1 comment:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sounds like a great weekend...I had a rare 3 hour nap also and it was stormy weather so it was even better.