Sunday, April 19, 2009

On a Bicycle Built for One

Roy took our bikes to the bike shop several weeks ago for new tires and annual maintenance. We've tried several times to get out and ride but our schedules didn't work or it was too windy and here recently too rainy. So on this beautiful sunny afternoon, we pulled our bikes out of the den, remember we live in a condo, and hit the street. But we had a few incidents before we even got out the driveway. My front tire seemed to be a little low on air but Roy kept telling me it was OK. So we start out and he says, you know, I do think that front tire of yours is a little low, so back to our cars where I waited while he went upstairs and got the air pump. Actually, before that, I couldn't remember how to get on my bike. When I used to do a lot of riding, my knees and eyesight were in much better shape. And when we bought my bike, it was better to buy a boys bike because they were made stronger. Finally, after giving a little show to all the neighbors outdoors enjoying their beautiful day, I got my leg up and over to get on the bike. While Roy was getting the air pump, I decided to lower my seat since I am not as tall as I used to be. We had to stop cause it was killing my knee and readjust to the original seat height.


I used to ride my bike all the time and in all kinds of terrain. Cynthia Crain and I used to take our bikes out to Brazos Bend State Park and ride with the alligators. In fact, she once tried to ride her bike on the wooden rails of a bridge out there. Believe me cause I have pictures to prove it. I also took that bike with me to Crested Butte and rode all over the mountain trails. In fact I have several memorable scars from being thrown from my bike and scraped my legs and arms halfway down the mountain. Once I had finally made it down the mountain, I hit a little bump coming into the ski village, skidded on the concrete and came to a full and complete stop in front of a store. I laid there all bloody and bruised and a bit dazed by the trama. A lady walked up to me and I thought she had come to help me. She stood over me and said, if I were you I would take up a new sport. I used to know how to look out for holes and tight spaces by not looking directly at those holes and tight spaces, apparently you never forget how to ride a bike, but other fine details are lost. Roy and I rode down Memorial and through neighborhoods and many seeing us probably thought we needed training wheels cause we were both a little shaky. We rode over by Mrs. Baker's where neighborhood security is policed by men in Explorers and on bikes. They gave us the look and guess we didn't look like we were casing any homes. There is a little side street that goes off the main one. Once long ago I rode my bike down that way to the dead end and the occupants of the mansion released the hounds on me to leave the little public street.


I thought since I have been doing all this biking at the club that this would be such a piece of cake. Ha, I forgot about wind resistance, uneven payment and even though I have bought a bike seat for ladies, covered with a gel seat cover, it was way more uncomfortable than my recumbent bike seat. We rode through mud, water, pine needles, and grass that was all on the sidewalks. We didn't wear our helmets or we would have ridden on Memorial. After a while Roy had ridden all he cared to ride. Since I didn't trust myself out on my own, I came on in with him.


Today after church, the weather was so gorgeous, that we put the top down on Mustang Sally and went to Fu's. After lunch, we put the top down again and took the scenic way home. At lunch we had been talking about the flying lizard and laughing about that whole incident. Seems he has Jerrell lined up to take care of all my lizard needs for $25.00 bucks a lizard landing. So here we are on the way home and Roy is telling me about his lesson he taught as he subbed in Sunday School this morning, when I feel this little skittering on my wrist...very lizard like feeling. I looked at my arm and it was Roy scaring me. Mission accomplished...I screamed cause really what are the chances for another flying lizard! That Roy.


Yesterday, it was enjoyable to stay in and take in the rainy day. I got some things off my task list and had a great reading and much welcomed nap time in the afternoon. Roy braved the elements and picked up a pizza from Collina's for us.

Looking forward to the week and I am coming up on my 500th post. The pressure.... is on to write something wonderful and witty for it.

2 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I always love your posts....

Lauren said...

"You should take up a new sport"? Seriously?!? So funny.