Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Looking at Things Differently

Last week I decided while in The Galleria I would go to the Adidas store in the mall. I've had good luck in finding Adidas workout capris at Academy, Adidas outlet and Costco. So I took a deep breath and stepped over the line into fitville. The look of the clerks are the same looks I get whenever I go into a petite only store. That incredulous look of hey fatty, fatty or tallie tallie you are in the totally wrong store. The Adidas clerk even asked if I was in the wrong store or was I looking for a gift? No, I told her I was looking for me, I have lost 70 pounds and need workout clothes. Well, at that moment, there was a world of acceptance. Wow, how did you do that etc? I get the same kind of reception at the My Fit Foods Store and gee they are in the business, well for a matter of fact so is Adidas, of helping people get fit. Only it seems they only want to help the extra smalls of the world because they look the best and are good for their logo branding. My feelings aren't hurt because I have dealt with this kind of thing all my life. Even when I weighed 120 pounds and 6 feet tall.


Seems I am no better than Adidas or My Fit Food because at the club today I had all kinds of workout prejudice going on. There are two older ladies that come in from time to time and probably now that I think about it, we are all around the same age. One lady is skinny and wears inappropriate workout clothes and hits on the young guys on the treadmills and at her age she could be their mother. Her friend is more subdued but I wonder why she even comes to workout. She rides the recumbent bike but stops every few minutes and reads. She also works out on the machines if that is what you'd call it. See, here I am being all My Fit Foods about her...she is hogging the ab machine and for gosh sake, she's not even doing it right. See what I'm talking about?


We do this to others in the spiritual or church world as well. We have no clue how little or how far they are in their walk with the Lord. We start all this well gee....
I am the worst in doing this.


I almost went over to help the lady on the hamstring machine, but unfortunately it is a machine I'm not too good at, so I would be of no help. Probably some of the personal trainers look at me when I am on the elliptical machine and think she doesn't stay on that thing long enough to do any good. Not now, but I am working up to a longer time. Guess all I am saying is we need to look at people and things with different eyes and hearts. But if you see me using the stretching machine, please come over and give instruction. I know I am not doing the thing right.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I hate that our world is based on first impressions....and the church. Lord help us! At least you are brave enough to try out machines...I always feel ridiculous trying to figure them out!

I bet you look way cool in your adidas clothing!

Laura SanchezQuan said...

Good post Nancy.

I have to say something about this whole Petite clothing business. Ok, I know it's off the point of what youa are saying...anyways...I am not a petite myself so I can say this... people always think that to be a petite you are SKINNY and they brag about being a petite (this is totally my grandmother of all peole who make me feel fat bc I don't wear petites-HA!). Petite just basically means ya got short arms, legs or a short waist. Larger people can also wear petites in cases where they are large and short. Anyways, just thought I would share this annoyance. HA!

Back to the post...good points. I enjoyed reading. Hope you are doing soooo well! I have started Matteo's nursery! check my blog for some updates!