Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ready for My Close Up

Oh back in the day as a young tween, although back in the day we were known as pre-teens, I could not possibly wait to shave my legs. Stupid me, I couldn't wait to get my, oh how shall I say this delicately, that special time of the month. After just one time of that mess I wanted to go back to how I was before but now I have digressed. Anyway, when I was finally given permission to shave my legs, my mom suggested I used Nair beforehand. Then use an electric razor for the time being until I got the hang of things, then use a blade. Get the hang of shaving???? Anyway, I used Nair. Back then it was a smelly, horrible, chemical mess and I think it was my mom's way of putting off the inevitable of me growing up and doing oh so grown up things. But, I persevered and used Nair for several more applications before progressing onto the electric razor.


Why am I telling you this, because I used a Nair product yesterday for the first time since I was 12 or 13 years old. Some of you regular readers of the Monablog remember my legs took a Nazarite vow for the winter and NO I have not gone this far into spring and just now terminating the vow. But I am going to have a spray tan applied to me in May and wanted to do a few test runs beforehand. For a spray tan you exfoliate and get rid of your unwanted hair before the application. So while in Target the other day, I looked at the various Nair products available. I was going to do the shower one, but the directions for hanging up the sponge applicator overwhelmed me and I just went with the regular application kind. There is still the distinct chemical smell but now it is diminished somewhat by a floral fragrance. How much would you pay for a hair remover, exfloliator and moisturizer??? I forget, but I got all three things in that little tube. The instructions are to apply, not rub in, let it set for 3-10 minutes, use a wash cloth to remove, and then shower to rinse off. So yesterday, I returned to those days of yes ter years and Naired. I am pleasantly pleased with the results, although my legs burned a little afterwards. Some lotion helped that situation.


I can remember when I looked at catalogs and saw all the helpful devices for those who were older. You know the stuff, magnified half glasses to apply make up, devices to help you open jars, brushes to apply lotion on your back...junk like that. Who in the world would even think about using such things? Well, to be honest now, me. So buying the Nair was my first foray into the AARP product line. I did the Nair cause I'm too blind to see to shave without my glasses. So many times my legs look like some kind of crop rotation is taking place. A row of smooth skin next to a row of knee high by the 4th of July leg hair, next to another row of smooth skin.

So I am ready for my spray tan Mr. Demille***. Well, I have a few weeks but I will be oh so ready.


*** For those of you too young to know this, there is a famous line from the movie Sunset Blvd. Norma Desmond's last line of the movie is, I'm ready for my close up Mr. Demille. Good movie, rent it to see why she is saying such a thing past her movie making prime.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I've never used Nair but have always been curious....

marty said...

I remember using it once as a youngun and it left some hairs behind. I guess I had industrial strength folliage! TMI, I know!

Ulovebeth said...

If you need spray tan advice, let me know. I hope you are going to the Nord, otherwise, I can tell you some bad stories of what my co-worker referred to as Kroger feet from stepping in the sprayed booth.
And what are the plans for the smooth and tan Nancy? A non-Alaskan cruise?

FitzandMolly said...

I must not have done it correctly, b/c Nair never works on me. Only in patches.

Pluto said...

Way too much information, Nancy! You should have a warning at the top of the blog so that unsuspecting guys like me will stop reading it.