Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nostalgia, Trips and Books




Nancy's Monablog is nearly 500 posts and April is my 2 year anniversary of blogging. Sitting here composing thoughts, observations, silliness and randomness has been a delight and joy. Reading and writing, two of my very favorite things. It has been good to write about the fun and dumb things going on in life, since my journal is usually filled with prayers, concerns and gosh darn it...stuff that makes me miffed or should I dare say it, mad. In the years to come I don't want people reading my journals, if they don't get destroyed, thinking I was a negative and depressed person, doubting so much, yet rejoicing hard and with great energy over the works of God going on in and around my life. So, whoever is reading my journal may think I was bi-polar and never know the fun, goofy and dorky side of me. Aren't y'all glad you get those things in the Monablog. Ha ha hee hee.






We are a little bit excited here around the homestead. Roy and I are actually going on a vacation in May. It has been a looooonnnnnnggggggg time since we've taken a trip together that was not related to a business concern or conference. Even with Roy being a plan man, this whole trip just blew up into reality on Sunday. I was telling Roy I had received an advertising piece from the Inn on the Biltmore Estate offering 3 nights for the price of 2. Roy said, well, go book it and here are the dates I cannot go. I checked the availability contrasted to Roy's schedule and we found ourselves booked at the Inn. So happy there was room in the inn for us. Heck, the stables there wouldn't be a bad stay now that I think about it. Glad for the room complete with separate bath and shower. We are going to drive and take our time getting to Asheville. We are going to spend some time in Chattanooga, home of the Moon Pie, Peggy's and my Bataan death march experience, and many happy memories for me at least of the Nationals when I played softball. Roy has never been there, so a must see will have to be "See Rock City" and Lookout Mountain, along with various war between the states battle fields. Our return trip hasn't been planned as such, but it looks like we might try to go one night in Nashville to see the fam, a trip to Square Books in Oxford, and a quick visit to see Roy's mom in Shreveport.






Tuesday was a fun, laugh filled day. I met Lisa P at Mimi's in Pearland for waffles. Yum! We got there around 11:00 and stayed till 2:30. Time really does fly when having fun. We were seated at a back booth and I assume we looked like we might be full of fun and laughter which might disturb others dining. Good choice. Oh my goodness, we talked of all things, but the laughter and the descriptions of situations made us weak. Good thing we had protein with our waffles.






Tuesday evening I met Dena for dinner at Escalente's. Their table side guacamole cannot be beat. Loved getting caught up with Dena and of course there was laughter involved with dinner.






Yesterday, Central Market called me from afar...thanks Marty for reminding me of that. I went after working out. I think I must have carbo loading on my mind when I go there cause I come out to the car with muffins, cookies and bread almost always. Bought a couple of their take home dinners. We had chicken pot pie last night and tonight baked ziti with sausage and peppers. I'll have to eat around the sausage but that is a small sacrifice to have one of Roy's favorite dishes tonight.






I started reading a new book, The Cracker Queen. It's a memoir of a tough childhood but it's not depressing in how the author decided to make correct choices. I am going to do a complete post on the book later, but it's good. I am also interested in a book about 11 friends from Ames, Iowa now in their 40's. They are life long friends scatter throughout the nation who have remained close through the years and seen each other though happy and sad times. It is written by the man who helped with The Last Lecture. I love books on friends and friendship. Friendship is created by God, see Abraham, Moses, David, and Jonathan...AND Jesus...He has called us friends. I don't know if this Iowa book on friends are God based friendships, but it might be an interesting read.






Well, that's it, for now.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

the biltmore sounds amazing!

Ali said...

'..Sitting here composing thoughts, observations, silliness and randomness has been a delight and joy..'

also to read :-)

PS that Inn looks first class. Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Ahh. . . the Biltmore! And Rock City - some of my favorite travel memories! Have a great time. . .

LMS

Pluto said...

I was reading your blog while having a quiet cup of coffee before the onslaught of my first class and now I feel really hungry!

Laura SanchezQuan said...

...I find bipolar people to often also be fun, goofy and dorky :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Stop by my blog when you have a chance....I have an award for you....

Lauren said...

I'd love to go to Ashville someday.

Also, what is all this business about Moon Pies lately? Have you seen the LPM blog? And earlier this week I found a Moon Pie at the grocery store and rushed home to eat it (gotta say it wasn't as good as I remembered, though). Anyway, Moon Pies are having a little hey day among our friends or something.

Jennifer said...

The vacation sounds lovely! Make sure and take lots of pictures along the way.