Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hyatt Hill Country Trip Part One...A Good Time Was Had by All

I am off to a much better start this morning as compared to yesterday morning. What a difference a day makes. Even if that day means a major breakdown with Sprint, loosing an email address without warning, and blocking the wrong phone's access to the Internet. The day included a very fun lunch with friends at Ouises's. Then there was just the plain old stuff that has to be done upon returning to the norm. I fought off the lingering effects of Tuesday night's phone conversation through out the day and the end result was supreme tiredness by the ending of the afternoon. But this morning, even though I am easing into the day, the cloud has lifted.


What an incredibly fun trip. I thought I would wear on the first day a pair of new flax colored shorts. Loved them, loved the long length. Didn't love that the least amount of perspiration was magnified to the 10th power in them. I looked at these round wet spots on my knees and tried to figure out where they came from. I hadn't used spray oil or any kind of lotion... dang...it was perspiration or on me sweat. Good thing I am a big picture type, because I could only imagine what could happen look wise in these shorts if I should have an anxiety attack sweat jag. Changed into my faithful jean capris. Whew, major embarrassment avoided. Our journey began when Dena picked me up Saturday morning. We are notorious for our "oft stop" along the way. I think we made it all the way to Sealy where we made our first stop at McDonald's. We made another stop in Schulenburg. Then the best stop of all, Buc-cees. Dena had never been to the mother ship Buc-cees and I am happy to report she loved it! Come to think of it, I don't think she has ever been to any Buc-cees. I think we were there about an hour looking through the gift shop area and then we made our snack choices to get us in the rest of the way into San Antonio.


We took the 410 loop around San Antonio to head over to the La Cantera Mall. Last year, Peggy and I took 1604 and got so lost trying to find I-10. Seeing it this time, I am surprised that we got lost...bad Google directions but still... I also have to remember that the weekend Peggy and I were in San Antonio for the Living Proof Live event, is the weekend I had a heart attack and didn't even know it. Nothing that dramatic even happened this weekend. I think I must have some built in instinct, because I got us to the Nord and parked in no time at all even obeying all posted and non posted speed laws.


I drove from Buc-cees to San Antonio. Dena and I often on trips take turns driving and two more different styles of driving doesn't exist. Polar opposites. Let's just say one of us had to slow down and not drive with a lead foot. Hmmm...who would that be?

We both had successful shopping days at the Nord. We also ate our late lunch/early dinner at the Bistro.

When we finished up at La Cantera, we headed over to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. We drove up to the initial stop to get your name card for the car that allows in and out access. The guard asked the last name and Dena gave it. The guard bends over looks in the car and says, Dena? He said it like "Dena, is that you? It's me your high school sweetheart." I am looking at her like, this is going to be a good story... But alas, there wasn't a story. It was just how he asked the question. We had a good laugh over that. We checked in and since we weren't roughing it, we had a prompt bellman who delivered our assorted luggage and Nord bags. Then we were off to explore our most likely places that would see the majority of our time, the gift shop, general store, restaurant, pool and lazy river. In fact, we were there in time to pick up a s'more that we made over the open fire pit. I loved sitting under this tree on the back porch of the Hyatt. There were rocking chairs to take a spell and a load off to just sit and relax. You hardly saw one kid up there. Anyway, I loved looking through the branches of the huge oaks.

We took several turns around the ramblin' river. Each time around I think we both changed how we sat or floated in our tubes. Lots of kids swimming around and under you. Great way to cool off before retreating to a pool side chair located under a big oak tree. Uh, you can tell our or at least my tan time days are over. I would rather be cool and have an odd speckled leaf like tan on my legs that burn up in the hot sun.


Since this is a G rated blog, at least most of the time, I didn't take any pictures at the adult only pool. Somehow I think the definition of adult only got mixed up with adult activity. Oh my... Nuf said about that. We only used that pool to cool off without getting hit in the head with a volleyball or getting kicked by a beginning swimmer. So, I thought another picture of the river would take the place of the adult only pool. Cue Marvin Gay's, "Let's Get it On."



Bridge over troubled water....a bridge too far...bridge over the river qua....no just the bridge over the lazy river to another lounging spot and closer to the baby pool.




This is Dena using the decorative pillow as a shake weight. Now you must be asking what is a shake weight? I will tell you, we saw a commercial about the shake weight in San Antonio. You shake this weight and dynamic inertia creates beautifully shaped and sculpted arms in just 6 minutes a day. We were penurious and used those pillows trying to get the same dramatic results. It worked and I would post pictures of us in our swimsuits with our sculpted, Michelle Obama like arms, but we took a vow, no swimsuit pictures are to be posted on the blog or published on Facebook. Heck, we took that vow to the nth degree and never once took a picture of us by the pool. If we had, I would have been wrapped up in the lovely mint green towels provided by HCC as not to cause anyone to be jealous or lustful over the new state and shape of my arms.



These pictures are the beautiful lobby that we only passed through and never spent any time in.


Here we are under the big oak tree on the porch. This was taken on our last morning. Don't we look rested and refreshed. Oh by the way, the other picture of Dena in this same outfit was taken on the last day. She didn't wear the same thing over and over and over. You can barely see what our 6 minutes of shake weight work did in this picture.
Guess this is a good stopping point for now. Thanks for reading through this very long, but fun, at least for me, post.









3 comments:

Amanda said...

That is just one of the greatest places ever.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Enjoyed your trip....always enjoy your posts....

FitzandMolly said...

I am absolutely in love with the oak trees in the hill country. they only look like that there.