Saturday, July 4, 2009

Oh, I'm Not Tired Yet



Happy Fourth of July!!! I know it is the fourth because Roy has gone into the office. The holiday hits in the critical time of quarter close. Hopefully, he won't be up there all day.






There are ways that you know you're getting older and mostly you keep that kind of stuff to yourself. I'm planning on getting one of those daily pill containers so while traveling I'll be able to keep up with my meds. I officially became an oldie last summer when I went on an Alaskan cruise and had a heart attack later in August. I am reminded monthly when I make the trip to the Walgreen's to pick up prescriptions that if I go through the drive through I have to go to the window. All my pills won't fit in the little capsule that runs between the store and your car. There is one thing that hasn't changed, I could sleep till 10:00 am most days. Most oldies are want to get up around 4:30 am. Not me, I make myself get up before 8:00 and oh sometimes 8:30 but it would be just as easy to turn over and continue on in dreamland.






Last night Roy and I were reminded that we're getting older because they gave us the senior discount at Fuddrucker's. We didn't know there was one and we didn't ask for it. Roy was so agitated by it but I told him he was the one who got us the discount with all that gray hair. He said it was me and my limp that got us the discount. Once I sat down at our booth and was able to ascertain the situation I realized all the counter help and cooks were young men under the age of 19. Probably every adult looks old to them. It has been some time since we've gone to Fudd's and come to think of it, it has been awhile since we have had a really good hamburger.



Another reminder of being part of the older set, we bought a new clock radio since our other one was two seconds away from biting the dust. Roy picked out one with a huge digital readout screen. I think he is tired of me asking him in the middle of the night what time is it since the numbers were a little blurry without my glasses. Wow, I can see the numbers loud and clear on the new one. What next, a large print keyboard on my cell phone? Oh I hope that doesn't happen. Can SAS shoes be around the corner? Will I think that double knit polyester is a good look by next week? Will I want to go to the beauty parlor for my weekly wash and set? Oh my, may it never be. Will I start using the term young people for those under the age of 45? Please oh please no.



I am fortunate to have people, yes even young people, and activities to keep my insides young though my outer shell be on the decay. I am not cool because I don't have an iphone but learning all my Blackberry apps are keeping me fully engaged in the technical 21st century. Our Bunco group is half oldies and half young people. We have a blast together. I'm looking forward to the ride to and from Amanda's because Kay and I are riding together. She and Jerrell are some of my all time favs. Peggy and I have made a pack that if either one of us becomes gloom and doom, cranky, or start complaining a lot, the other one has the right to set the other one straight. Of course it will be hard for me to listen to her if she starts dressing like Gertrude 24/7. The other night while taking a friend home, she gave me a friendly lecture, no it was more of a reminder that I shouldn't blow through intersections so fast. Did it bother me that she felt the need to say anything? No way, means I'm still driving like a young person. My take is this, get away from a potential non safe moment, don't go so slow that you have to stick around and give your name as a witness to said accident.




A merry heart does good, like a medicine. Keep laughing, have fun and be forward leaning into the future. Got medicated really well on Wednesday night. Lisa P, Peggy and I met for dinner before rehearsal for choir. We had a great time and our conversation full of laughter. On Thursday night I had so much fun talking to the Perricone MD manager at the Nord. She was showing me all the cosmetic area's specials for the Anniversary Sale that starts on the 17th. You know she hooked me in when she as a young person told me she loved my hairstyle. Helmet hair and a sullen attitude isn't going to get you into near as much fun.



They must be getting the pool ready for the 4th crowd. It can be a happening place. Our first year we lived here, a group had a big 4th celebration, even setting up a volleyball net. I looked out the window and said, I can't believe that old fat man is in the pool with all those young people playing volleyball. Roy looked out and said, Nancy, that isn't an old man, it's a topless woman. He continued, too bad it's never the cute ones that take off their tops. I had to look again, oh yes, what I thought I saw was some pot bellied guy, it was just a woman who wasn't pert anymore. That's around the time I had to start wearing glasses full time.



Think I will head to the gym in a bit. I finally got a good mix play list on my iPod. It's a mixture of rock, funk, disco, gospel and MJ. I'm not bored on the bike with Barry White and Kirk Franklin in the mix. Threw is some Carpenter's to smooth out the mix. Really, you have to have some cool down songs. I added a choir number from the Mississippi Mass Choir. It's the last song of the mix. The song is, I'm Not Tired Yet. Contrast that to the song, He's Never Failed Me Yet. Yet is the operative word. I know I am going to get tired it's just a question of yet. He's never failed me yet seems to me that there is a chance of that yet happening. NO way! He will never fail or forsake us. Oh back to the choir song. Words go somewhat like this, I've been working for Jesus a long time, I'm not tired yet. I've been running for Jesus a long time, I'm not tired yet. OOOOHHHHH, I'm not tired yet. OOOOOOOOhhhhhh I'm not tired yet.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat post!!! Enjoyed reading it so much and I can relate....I need that song for my choir. I will look for it.

AyDubb said...

I just hd to come out of the lurker shadows and comment! My grandma absolutely LOVES that song (as does her granddaughter). She's 92, but when that song comes on, she's nodding her head and humming along and clapping her hands like nobody's business!