Monday, July 20, 2009

Take Your Wife to the Office Day




We are on week 2 of drive your husband to work and I am still enthusiastic about it, well not as much as last week when I was so full of new beginnings and starting early. Don't get me wrong I still want new and early, but getting up a little before 6:00 am to ease into the day... let's just say I didn't start out with a shout of joy, more like a moan of it's so dark out. The ride into downtown had a whole different feel to it. The sky was overcast and cloudy. It looked like a winter morning and the whole grayness has me so looking forward to winter and cooler temps. That is still some time away, but it brings hope.



I was at the gym by 7:30 and I was done by 9:00. Came on home and got ready to meet the Back row Divas for lunch at Ashland House. We had a great time catching up with each other. Then Peggy and I went over to church to measure and discuss our choir "project." Thanks Rae for helping us out and giving us some great ideas. We got to hang out a bit with John Bolin today. That's always fun. Much to our chagrin, Peggy and I almost wore matching outfits. She had on a blue top, white capris and blue Reef flip flops. The only change in my outfit was, I wore jeans. I had given a lot of consideration to wearing, you guessed it, white capris. We didn't even notice this at Ashland, but at church everyone noticed. We were trying to think of the twin ladies who are probably in their 80's that still dress like one another that go to First. We are NOT them!



I ditched my Sunday nap and went downtown with Roy yesterday afternoon. I hadn't seen his new office and he wanted me to help hang pictures and junk. I got too carried away with having such fast Internet speed, that I downloaded a bunch of pictures and did a lot of stuff on the computer that usually takes much longer at home. When it was time to leave we decided on coming back on another day to hang pictures etc. Since my mind was full of carpet samples, I was very observant of their carpeting. Beige and boring but at certain important areas or rooms there were inserts of red carpeting. So this must be all the rage. The red inserts were about the size of ladder rungs, so I guess they are not as gung ho over the insert different color carpet here kind of thing.

This lovely view is Roy's bookcase and wall. He used to just pile up junk on the shelves and not arrange them in an orderly way. He has come a long way.

He has three large windows that look directly into the Hyatt Regency. He and his staff have all types of stories of what they have seen when people "in love", "in lust" or just don't have a lot of discretionary time on their hands do with curtains wide open. Needless to say, they try not to look and they aren't actively trying to see anything. But sometimes one will go look out the window to get some perspective on a problem and instead... Roy says he shuts his blinds if they won't.

I worked at his small table which he had finally cleaned off and put into those boxes on the left.

I disturbed Roy and asked him to pose for a picture. I am surprised he got as much done as he did. I didn't mean to pull him away from his work, but I didn't know where the Diet Coke machine was and then he'd have to walk me to the restrooms in the hall because he is the only one with a badge and the only one to know exactly where we were on his floor. So many cubicles surrounded by beige carpeting becomes un-navigable to the untrained eye, because they all start looking alike.

The first picture of Heritage Plaza is a building that has always intrigued me. Was it a traditional building breaking out of the new or was it the new covering up the old? I asked Roy about that on the way into downtown and I was quite surprised about how much he knew about that building. Who knew? Well, apparently Roy.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

"It looked like a winter morning and the whole grayness has me so looking forward to winter and cooler temps."

Oh honey. You have a while to wait. I'll check back with you on this around Christmas.