Thursday, July 23, 2009

Only a Day Away

I read a quote the other day that went something like, you can't pack your life into one suitcase. In the big picture that seems to be an interesting and thought provoking quote, but in reality it is a sad truth . And the cost of the one suitcase is about to go higher. Fortunatley, for my little mini vacay away, there are not plane rides involved. I am trying so hard to pack everything in a smaller suitcase but I don't know... I am such a mood clothes wearer. I am trying really hard to be in an earthy tone mood for my trip thus keeping the shoe requirement to a minimum. Being deep and wide, tall and still a little overweight, I think we taller folks should get a more generous suitcase allowance. Same thought on buying gas saving cars. What happens when we are 6'4" and 6', we cannot fit into one of those tiny, tiny economical cars. Well, once again I have digressed, but I am trying to calculate the unknowns for the mini vacay. Will I be in a swimsuit for most of the day? That will mean I could just bring one pair of shorts and a shirt for two days to wear other times, but I know me, I hate rewearing stuff. I am bringing two outfits for evenings and by outfits I mean jeans, capris and tops. I have talked myself into just bringing one pair of pj's. Most probably I will never go to the fitness center like I think I will, so instead of two days of workout clothes, I am only bringing one. Heck, if I do go both days and the second day and my clothes stink, I will never run into these people again. Really, who am I trying to impress? I am not taking all my make up and skin care products. That is a huge change for me. And I think I have my book selection down to 2 and my Bible...oh and my journal. In the past I have brought more books than I could ever possibly read but there is that mood thing. Goodness knows I have already sorted out all my millions of pills I have to take into the little pill traveler thing. According to Roy I will be dead meat if the new health reform goes through. Well, I will think about all that later, right now I need to concentrate on me being me just in a smaller suitcase.


Last night Lisa P and I closed down Collina's. We had the best time catching up with the happenings. Foccacia bread is like chips, you have to have some to end the meal. We left just as the heavens began declaring the glory of God with the lightning and rain. Didn't mind it a bit.


I have so appreciated the comments on the lovely carpeting at Carpet Giant, I mean First Baptist, oh....Houston's First Baptist. I haven't even documented other areas of the building but believe me, if there is a change a coming, it will be in carpeting I'm sure. Maybe once the recession is over, and money is freed up just a bit, a new position will be created, Creative Carpeting Coordinator. It makes me giggle just a bit because a lot of being relevant is appearance and presentation based. But somebody forgot to look down instead of just out into the future. But now that I think about it, maybe the vast amount of different floor treatments is so that we don't look up at the ceilings to see dingy 30 plus year old ceiling tiles.


Speaking of relevant, I just got my last issue of Relevant, the magazine. I have enjoyed taking it, love the edgy layouts and the in depth interviews. I've read a lot of good books and listened to great music because of the reviews. Now most of my relevant reading is online. If you have the chance these blogs are worth the time Anne Jackson, Mark Batterson and Tony Morgan. Oh I forgot one.


Well, I am going to give it another try to pack lightly. I did learn this week in my attempt of not acting old that underwear is pretty much a non element in clothing if you are in your younger 20's. Believe me, you want us oldies acting old in that department.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I once flew to London for a couple of days with only my handbag as luggage. If I can do it Nancy, you can do it ;-)

Anne Jackson said...

Thanks for the link!