Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 1, Hurricane Season Begins and Oh By the Way, It is Hot Here!

It's June 1 which means it is hot,HOT, HOT in Houston and it is the first day of hurricane season. All the predictions suggest a very active hurricane season. I so hope they are wrong, but the professional weather service that Roy subscribes to is painting a bleak picture. Guess I need to check the supplies. We were really prepared last year and Roy says prepare for a storm so a storm doesn't come, but even Roy who is so optimistic is thinking this will be a busy hurricane year. Ugh... While we were in Asheville we did some investigating on buying a second home, more likely condo up that way. While talking to a native Ashevillian, she mentioned rain and wind that comes from a hurricane that hits the coast of North Carolina but she said, once it begins its journey through the mountains, the rain and wind are diminished as such. Guess it wouldn't be so bad as being 50 miles from the coast. We took some time in Maggie Valley on our research. It is about 40 minutes west of Asheville. Saw some things and places we really liked, but once we arrived at the Biltmore I'm came to the conclusion that maybe it is the peaceful atmosphere there that is what I'm looking for and not so much a place in the mountains. We'll continue our search. The prices favor a buyers market right now.


We've been working on our will. So much fun because if you know me well, you know I am not much for tedious paperwork. Or thinking out things that totally bore me. Was at the bank this morning bringing back some papers that had to be signed by Roy. Thought I could drop off and not have to go through them again...uh no. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that we should be weird cat people and leave everything to Buddy.


It is a wild place Costco. Must have been a little wilder because of being closed yesterday. One lady rammed me with her cart about 3 times in 3 different areas of the store. The lady was in one big hurry and whose line did I pick to check out behind? Yes boys and girls, wild cart lady. Here's the deal, she wasn't so fast and wild in line, she was very, very slow. It could have been due to the fact of being on her cell phone and only having one available hand to unload her cart. Then she changed her mind on a couple of items. Hey, I knew better than to get behind her at the exit where they act like they are counting things in your basket. Score, she got stopped for a long time. I'm hoping the strawberries I picked up are as good as the ones from Costco that were served at a shower for a friend.


It must have been music of the 70's at physical therapy today. Wow, talk about some memories! It was an hour of Chicago, James Taylor, John Denver, The Carpenters, Carly Simon, Carole King and Al Green. You know how you hear a certain song and you can be back in a moment of time when that song had been in the background of events? Had a good time thinking of back in the day with some of those songs. Oh, and it was helpful for a good workout.


Yesterday the Bains had lots of people out at the lake. As Peggy says it, her younger friends and since I am younger than Peggy, I have of course included myself into that group. Lots of fun. I packed my bag with my swimsuit, beach towel and sunscreen knowing I wouldn't really go into the lake or be pulled behind the jet ski. Sometimes I do things just to humor myself. I stayed out of the sun and on the dock for most of the afternoon. On the way home I stopped to bring Roy some Wor Won Ton soup for dinner. Roy came home from vacation pretty sick. In fact, that is one of the reasons we drove straight through. He didn't feel too good when we left and by the time we were down the road, he had lost his voice completely and had a horrible cough. I am so glad I brought all three pair of my glasses that work in different situations. As much as Roy's driving makes almost everyone nervous, he has had to pick up a lot of driving time since my eyesight is in transition again. So, I did the 17 and a half hours and was happy to do so. it was exciting especially in the Smokey Mountains at 4:30 in the morning. He has taken such good care of me and probably being concerned over me caused his recent episode of shingles. He didn't feel like exposing everyone at the lake to his cold, so he stayed home and rested. I even asked him to go to the Dr on Friday and he did. That is how bad he was feeling. Think he remembered how in April of 2008 I got really sick with the same stuff and the Dr's think that is when, being in such a weakened condition, that the virus was able to invade my being and attack my innards. Been in the country, so had to use a country word. Think Roy slept most of the weekend and in between coughing due to cold. He didn't go to church on Sunday with me but he did make it to Pappasita's for pancakes after church. He went to work this morning but while I was being rammed in Costco I did up the supply of cough syrup and cough drops to bring home to him.


Well for now I will leave you with some more pictures from our trip. I know seeing them is doing me a world of good right now.

















1 comment:

Lauren said...

Your vacation spot looks heavenly. Good luck finding a condo there!