Monday, November 15, 2010

Ode to a Sunday School Teacher

Monday is a little more difficult than usual. I think the extra tiredness is from singing in all three services yesterday, but frankly, what a wonderful way to be tired. After leaving the evening service I ran by a friends for just a bit and I think that helped me to relax faster. Otherwise I would have just returned home wired and sleep would have been a long time in coming.

I heard some sad news this weekend. One of my favorite Sunday School teachers I had as a child went home to be with the Lord last week. Her name is Dorthy Gandy. I learned so much from her but one of the greatest and best lessons I learned from her life is, being a Christian doesn't mean living a life void of fun and laughter. Her lessons were spot on biblically but her personality added a bit of humor to each and every lesson. She truly lived life in a joyful, spirit filled and abundant life. Back in the day Sunday School wasn't ever intended to be fun, that is what Training Union on Sunday nights was all about. I had Mrs. Gandy as a teacher when I was in the fifth grade and when I was in those unlovely eighth grade, junior high filled angst year. She loved us in both, in our fifth grade innocence and in our know it all, insecure and awkward eighth grade year. She was genuine. She was loving. She shared Jesus and taught us how to live with Him in an abundant filled life. She showed us how to share the Gospel with our friends. She had genuine compassion and love for us. She lived her life in a fun and laughter filled way and influenced me to do the same. Those childhood years were some dark and difficult times in my life and she always gave me hope that better times would come in the journey. She helped me hang in there and believe that I was not abandoned by God. Mrs. Gandy, you were so right! Thanks for everything and I'll see you in heaven. I cannot thank you enough for your godly, loving and fun-filled influence your life had on mine.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I for one, thank you for singing yesterday morning. We are usually in the chapel, but it was very powerful in the sanctuary and I thank the Lord that He had us all together. It was beautiful!

FitzandMolly said...

This is a great story - I love that you had someone in your life who made such a huge impact. I hope you're aware that you carry on her legacy - you're the perfect example of the fact that Christianity can be fun, and as a matter of fact, it can be hysterical. Love you. But I won't give you a hug. ;)