Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Condomanium Report for Spring

It is obvious that it is spring time here at the old condominiums.  The group of older ladies who are nearly nonexistent during the fall and winter months are just like the birds returning when temperatures are warmer.  Since the dreaded daylight saving time change has come they have gathered poolside around the tables which are located right under our windows.  There is a loud talker in the group and sometimes with her normal tone and the amplification from the pool, she drowns out the television.  Their group is a little smaller this year to start out the season but by midsummer they should be back at full strength.  One of their group has moved to a nursing home.  She didn't do well after the death of her husband.  She stopped taking her meds and when one is bi-polar, that's not a good thing to do.  The two older gay gentlemen who sometimes join in with the group seem much frailer than they were last year.  I found out yesterday that the retired man who volunteered for so many of the building projects around here, retired engineer, died a couple of weeks ago.  He'd been really beaten down by cancer but made a remarkable comeback, but the comeback didn't last too long.  His wife had died suddenly a year and a half ago and I think he missed her something awful.  He was so ill that the casserole ladies around here were really bringing him food to help him, not for potential mate possibilities. 

We have lived here for 17 years and have watched the cyclical nature of everyday life.  We seem to be in a cycle of dog owners.  Lots of dogs live here and not too many of them are of a quiet nature.  The condominiums seem to be in a young people phase too.  I won't know until optimal pool time rolls around.  I wonder if Fern will be the first to the pool this year.  That is when I truly know spring turning into summer has arrived.  Her friend that lives on the second floor should be out there with her too. 

The annual dusting of yellow pollen is in full gear.  It will be nice to have a garage to put our cars in because it gets somewhat discouraging to have the cars washed only to have them coated in yellow by the next day. 

The chorus from Handle's Messiah keeps rolling through my brain, goodwill...goodwill...good will...goodwill...  and that's because I make a stop at least once a week.  This morning I dropped off several boxes and shopping bags full of stuff.  This afternoon I already have two boxes loaded up and ready for a return trip.  I made a quick stop today at The Container Store to get more glass/china storage bins.  I have the two sideboards cleaned out and the glass shelves ready to roll to another home.  A friend has volunteered to post pictures on their inner office server where people buy and sell.  Now I just need to get our resident photographer to capture them in all the cleaned out glory.  I read an article today on de-cluttering, maybe I should write yet another article.  Looks like we are on a good path of ridding ourselves of stuff and not all of it is junk.  Things have never stayed in my hands for too long and it is easier for me than most to pass on sentimental objects to others who might appreciate them or just give away stuff that might benefit someone else. 

We are looking forward to being in our new house but we have many good and fond memories of our time here at the condomanium.  Even the times of the casserole woman, the crazy woman who lived downstairs underneath us, the old lady who sat by her window and took names of people letting their dogs relieve themselves on the grass.  I told her once I was Clara Barton, started the Red Cross and the other time I told her I was the lovely Consuela who was married to her handsome husband Carlos and our little dog's name was Carnetia.  Ah good times...

No comments: