Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What Am I Supposed to Do?

I love the series that Dena is teaching in Sunday Bible Study, which is still Sunday School to me (thanks Billy Joel), What Am I Supposed to Do?  The series is all about discovering God's story for our lives.  Sunday we began some of the practical aspects of the lesson and we were given a list of questions to answer to help us find clues for what we are gifted to be and talented to do.  Without any depth of thought I began to answer the questions based on the surface words I heard throughout my childhood and teenage years.

1.  What activities did you enjoy as a child; in junior high and in high school?
          Standing in the corner, elementary years and detention in Jr high.  High school where I kind of behaved better conduct wise, volleyball and drama.

2.  When asked what you wanted to be when you grow up, what was your answer?
          I'm still working on that
3.  What came easy to you?
          Getting in trouble
4.  What prediction has anyone ever made about you?  Has it happened?
         That I would never straighten up and fly right.  Has it happened, I think so.  Also there was the prediction I just might land in jail.  Thankfully, that has never happened.
5.  Did people say, "You are so good at___________.
           Yes, but none of it was anything you'd want to hear like messing up their life, getting on their nerves, but I did hear from other people that I was funny.
6.   What are your spiritual gifts?
           Lying and deception along with delegating and then taking the credit if it is successful.  (This is an old joke that Debbie and I had)  I know what my spiritual gifts are.  In fact I have been given the spiritual gift test numerous times.  I don't know if it's because I've never been a good test taker and they are trying to help me get higher gifts or what.  I do know I took a spiritual gift test in McDonald's once but it was only to keep me busy and occupied. 

There are four more questions but you can see the direction that my surface answers are taking.  I've actually taken the time and since memories are rather fresh these days from the past because of all the purging I'm doing before we move, it has been easier to remember the good and positive input from others.  I can see the design that God has on my life.  Just this week I began reading Plan B by Pete Wilson.  I have had this book since it was published and it had almost found a permanent home on the desk, but a conversation with a friend prompted me to pick up the book and begin reading.  I really wasn't planning on giving it too much time because I felt like I had dealt with the past disappointments and the opportunities I had and missed or messed up when it came to God's will for my life.  Actually, the book is more helpful and forward preparing than looking back and lamenting.  Basically, those are our choices forward or backward and I know too many people who have stopped living forward and spend the majority of the time rehearsing every disappointment, the fulfilled life they've never experienced (by their own design), the bitterness and self pity which sends them spiraling into always being the victim.  They can't rejoice neither can they weep with others, they can only loathe with contempt and wish the worst upon you...just like they experienced.  I'd rather not be that person and Plan B is so helpful preparing you for the little turns and twists we experience on the road of life.  I am seeing David, Joshua and Joseph from the Bible in a whole new light. 

What am I supposed to do?  Well the answer of the moment is, continue going through drawers, closets, folders, and files.  Discarding and shredding.  Really we are living a plan B right now.  Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would actually ever be a single family dwelling owner.  We have preferred town homes and condo living.  When our plan A of buying a town home in our area would become such an adventure into plan B.

1 comment:

Cassi said...

I would love to borrow Plan B when you finish it. I can't wait to hear more about your house.