Thursday, March 24, 2011

Returning to the Land of the Living

Let's see, I will probably make a run to the Kroger tomorrow and on my list or should I say the list that runs on continually in my brain, will be to pick up a daily pill dispenser thing.  You know the type that old people have to use because they can't remember if they took a pill?  Hi, my name is Nancy and I officially became old yesterday evening.  It all happened because taking my evening pills have had a better effect the earlier I take them in the evening.  Taking pills is such a rote thing these days that I double took heart medicine, Lipitor, and Metforman.  Then happily it was onto choir and as we began singing the first song and John asked us to stand is when I felt it.  Oooh, not a good feeling.  Since the rehearsal hall was so warm I thought it might be due to the lack of cool air.  Then the familiar feeling of 2008 overcame me, head sweating, clammy to the touch, shortness of breath and I really wanted to sit bent over or lay on the floor in the fetal position to get to feeling better.  Man, I love choir rehearsal and I didn't want to leave but I didn't want to make a scene either.  Between Emily and Peggy we discussed the plans of evacuation for me.  We did this as we sang Arise, Shine...as soon as I stood up I'd be arising and had the shine part already taken care of, my face was dripping with sweat.  I went down the steps and gave a lot of thought to sitting in the lobby to regain some strength but decided to press on.  Hurriedly a call to Roy was made asking him to meet me at our parking place at home.  Peggy wasn't too far behind me because she thought it wasn't such a good idea for me to walking alone and she saved me from running into a crepe myrtle tree.  It must have been a funny sight because I was walking bent over like the lady in the Bible who couldn't straighten up and as soon as Roy unlocked the front door I made a bee-line to lay or lie down in bed, curled up, clutching a heating pad.  My pain threshold is pretty high but we were contemplating taking me to the ER.  Everything hurt, my upper stomach, my legs, head, arms, hands....well head shoulder knees and toes, knees and toes.  Roy had decided he would sleep in the other room due to my restlessness but then decided I might need him in the middle of the night and slept with me.  Now here is the funny thing, I have asked the Lord if anything were to ever happen to me health wise, never let it happen at night.  The boy can sleep through just about everything.  His head hit the pillow and Buddy became the ever vigilant care taker.  Every hour or so she would put her nose up to my nose, guess she was checking to see if I was breathing.  Roy snored.  Because this is a family blog I will just say that I got up several times to use the facilities and several of those times was to throw up all that was within me and bless His holy Name.  Not a creature was stirring, not even Roy.  I turned on KHCB, as a reminder that I was keeping Him close by.  I was awake for most of the Spanish programing and for most of the music, but dang it, missed Unshackled.  I like that program especially all the dramatic organ music.  Slept right through it.  This morning Roy woke me up to tell me good bye and he was so happy that I had experienced a good night.  Didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise.  Buddy and I knew. 

So today I missed Bible study, didn't pick up our Colossians workbooks (Peggy is celebrating Kate's birthday) and I stayed in my jammies till 4:30.  Dry toast stayed down, got braver with crackers and peanut butter in the afternoon and Roy's bringing home dinner.  Going out on a limb to see if pizza will stay down.  Not going to take my meds until right before bed.  I never want to make that mistake again.  It was killer but I'm so grateful and happy to return to the land of the living.  Yep, duel pill dispenser will be in the basket tomorrow. 

6 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad you are OK...I have a fear of doing that and even more that Jack might....

I love that Roy slept through it...that sounds like our house...

Kelly Bowman said...

Nancy, so glad you are ok. I had to buy one of those dispensers myself. I used to think they were just for old people, but now I think they are for organized people :) I seem to have lost a good chunk of my memory once I had kids and I could not remember if I took my daily medication. Walgreens has one for $1.

AyDubb said...

Oh, wow! I am glad you are feeling much better. I've done the same thing before, and thought I'd be waking up looking into the faces of my students staring down on me. Thank goodness for friends who think ahead of you, and take care of you when you don't really know you need it!

FitzandMolly said...

oh man. rough night. glad it was only the medicine, and nothing more serious!

Jennifer said...

How scary! So glad you are ok!

Cassi said...

I'm really glad you are ok too. Don't scare me like that!