Saturday, March 5, 2011

What Mirror Are We Gazing In?

Isn't it interesting how our attention is focused on particulars that are relevant, very relevant to us in our brief moments of time.  For the past few years I have read everything I could, whether in hand or by Google, pertaining to heart issues.  I've read about when a virus attacks internal organs, specifically the heart, a-fib, enlarged hearts, heart disease, how stress affects the heart...well you see the direction and time a lot of researching has gone toward.  The subset information has been nutrition, medicine side effects, exercise and sleep.  My world has been seen through the filter of all things heart no matter what I was reading or doing. 

In just the past two weeks of time my attention has shifted to building a house and making a warm, inviting and comfortable...yes dare I say it, simple and uncluttered home.  Now when reading a magazine, my eyes are searching every article and advertisement looking for decorating ideas.  I've noticed the trends and I am trying to stay as neutral as possible.  Believe me, if we go with a trend, that trend will be dead the moment it becomes part of our home.  I'm fearing that granite counter tops might become as laughable as harvest gold and avocado green from the 70's.  Hold a good thought...that granite holds firm.  Another view we believe in is building a home that isn't overwhelming, overpowering and a money pit to keep maintained, cooled, heated, and insured.  Even with this being a strong mindset and decision it's funny how the temptation to have more room, more bedrooms, bathrooms and 3 to 4 car garages begins to slip in, and trickle into our thoughts and plans.  We had to shake ourselves and regain the proper mindset of having a smaller, more maintainable home that has adequate space so we live together without being on top of one another 24/7.  We had to rein in that thinking of more is better because we don't want to be house poor and be handcuffed and not being able to be good stewards of everything that God has blessed us with. 

Last night while clearing out magazines I came across this month's Southern Lady.  Now before anyone makes a wise crack about me not being no Southerner or much less a Southern Lady, I take the magazine because I'm interested by those who know how to be this and do this.  The articles are interesting and at times written with the bent of knowing the Lord.  The pictures are gorgeous!  And now with my new all consuming interest of interior design with me in mind, :), I came across an article about Leah Richardson and her book Interior Wisdom: Designing Your Home and Heart for the Lord.  This quote from the article got my attention, "It is the presence of God that makes our homes truly beautiful, a haven from the world, and a special place where we can be still and hear His voice."  Broke guideline number 7, no new books until we move this morning and ordered this.  Not so much for design ideas but for the inspirational quotes and Bible verses intended to inspire the reader.  Her design lines are clean, simple and she wants the end design plans to be peaceful, timeless and comfortable.  Seems to me she has a blog that I have read but can't remember the name or address of it.  No, this doesn't mean our home will be decorated with Jesus Junk, you know the 12 disciples ice tea glasses, bless this mess plaques or any other of that ubiquitous stuff that is found at your nearest Christian bookstore. 

Yesterday after lunch Roy and I went to Courtney's Home and Ranch store.  It is an interior designers haven and heaven.  I like to go in there and look, maybe even pretend briefly that I have unlimited funds and I'm a trained or gifted interior designer.  For weeks I have noticed a huge clearance sign in the window, but never stopped to take a look see.  I almost stopped there on my way home from Sugar Land but I was going to have to back track and decided against going.  While we were talking at lunch I told Roy I felt that "holy urge" to stop in at Courtney's.  No, I didn't see a cloud or pillar of fire leading me there, but just that gentle nudge.  There under the clearance table was a 5 by 8 rug, which just might work in Roy's study.  It had been $600 but marked down to a $100.  We unrolled it, inspected it and decided it was too good of a deal to pass up.  I also found a copper coffee urn marked down from $450 to $160.  I may never serve coffee out of it but dang it is going to look good in the new kitchen.  Since we were so close we made a stop into Home Goods.  Roy asked, are you feeling the holy nudge here?  No, I replied so he went over to Office Max while I looked around. 

This morning I went to Le Peep for pancakes.  Roy is at the rodeo livestock show taking pictures of animals with his photography class.  For company, besides Facebook, I took along Soul Print by Mark Batterson.  I cannot recommend this book enough.  I am ever thankful to Kelly Fisher for introducing me to his books and podcast.  I'm re-reading this book for about the 3rd time and came across this quote he used by C.S. Lewis, "Your real, new self...will not come as long as you are looking for it.  It will come when you are looking for Him."  In the chapter, The Devil's Workshop, Mark encourages us not to define ourselves by the wrong mirrors.  Don't just look into the mirror of culture or the mirror of the opinion of other people.  The only perfect mirror is the scripture and the more we read it, the more we will reflect God.  Mark adds, if you want to discover your soul print, you've got to begin and end with scripture.  As long as we don't read the Word as much as we could or should, we will always find ourselves with identity issues.  Then it hit me, because like I said at the beginning of this long, rambling post, my filter right now almost has everything to do with a new home.  It hit me that God is the master designer and architect (thanks Jenea for the shout out on yesterday's devo) and  if we will keep our eyes on Him being the master designer, creator and planner, all the choices will fall into place.  Our home will reflect Him because we have looked into the mirror of scripture.  The mirror of trends, design, color, accents will simply fade into the big picture of "unless the Lord builds the house."  Why I had a moment right there in Le Peep.  No, I didn't make the vow of using our home for church fellowships or parties but I did think that our home can reflect the Lord by its warmth and hospitality.  I have always been amazed by Romans 12 that in the midst of all those huge practice this and be this, hospitality is there right smack dab in the middle of things. 

Now I need to focus on the mirror of, focus.  I have about 3 different projects started  today and not one has come to completion yet.  Yes, blogging is distracting from the course.  Oh they will be completed by the end of the day, but chaos reigns right now in the cataloging and potential distribution of 17 years worth of junk.  I found several wedding gifts we have never even used and in the original Joske's box.  I'm still thinking about what to do with the china and I've been asked to dedicate a post on the china.  Will do, just need to take a picture of it in all its beautiful wonder...little pink, blue and green flowers...a 22 year old know it all picked it and didn't heed the wise words of her elders that simple is better. 

No comments: