Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Going to the Car Wash

Saturday morning Roy and I went to breakfast, made a stop and drop at Goodwill, and filled up the car.  Roy had selected a car wash as well, but alas the car wash was out of soap.  So we headed over to Kroger.  As we were readying to make the right hand turn into the parking lot we noticed and how could we not notice, two kids jumping up and down with signs stating they were doing a car wash at the church across the street from Kroger's.  We decided we would make a stop after shopping and get Sequisha cleaned up a little.  We finished shopping and headed over to the church.  There were just a couple of cars ahead of us.  It was hard not to notice the diligent work and effort going into cleaning each car.  A young woman came up to us and asked if we would like a cup of coffee while we waited.  We thanked her and declined the coffee offer.  We were defiantly into Diet Coke hours.  As the gray Jeep pulled away, we were directed to the spot it had occupied.  We got out of the car and their crew went to work.  It was mainly people in their late teen and early 20's doing the work but they were supported by kids who brought them clean water, soap and drying towels.  A couple of lady senior adults dropped by with some supplies and they headed on into their day.  I asked one of the girls what were they raising money for.  I thought for sure youth camp, youth trip or mission trip.  No, she told me they were raising money for expenses to help their church.  Bam, it hit me hard.  I began to tear up.  Here was a group of people giving up their Saturdays, sweating bullets, trying to help their church pay for expenses.  I reached into my purse and handed Roy some more money to donate to the cause.  He told me later if I hadn't of, he was going to pull out his wallet and add to what we had planned to give.  I was so moved by this group of people, the body of Christ, working together to make something happen, to support their local church.  Our car was cleaner and had been worked on with more diligence than the robot car wash at the Shell station.  Both Roy and I were thanking God as we left the church parking lot that there hadn't been any soap at the gas station.  We certainly received a greater blessing. 

No comments: