Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Random Thoughts on Tuesday

I get to do one of my favorite things today, have lunch with Cassi.  We are meeting near The Pottery Barn.  So, who knows if it will rain or not.  Every time I have gone to the PB it pours down rain but since it is not my ultimate destination, the rain thing might not be in the works. 


Saturday evening Roy wanted to drive out to the lot.  He hasn't been out there since the day we re-signed all the papers.  He brought his smaller camera and took some pictures.  I liked the shadow picture and thought I would include it today.  "If a picture paints a thousand words, than why can't I paint you" lyrics from one of my favorites from high school days, Bread.  Bread was a soft rock group, just not what's for dinner.  No that is beef, but I was never a fan of Meatloaf the singer, but do love me some meatloaf if it is tomato based and smothered in ketchup.  That my friends is how my brain whirls but not As the World Turns. 

Roy and I have officially cleaned out four bookshelves.  Another load of books will be going Goodwill's way.  It is hard to believe that we owned that many books and happily most of the one we are giving away have been read by us.  We have really done a lot around here to get into the ready position to move yet I feel like we have barely made a dent in all that needs to be done. 


Sunday was an exceptionally fun day.  In choir John officially introduced his finance Paige.  Our Sunday School lesson was exceptionally good.  And lunch after church was a blast.  We went with the Bains, Dena and Thuy to Los Cuccos.  After lunch, the Bains went by the Beer Can House and Roy and I made a trip to The Amish Craftsman.  We'd decided to also order a bookcase for Roy's study.  Then the best for last, a much needed Sunday afternoon nap.  I even got most of my Bible study homework done Sunday evening. 

In Sunday School, Dena was teaching from the seven last words of Christ.  But while she was teaching something caught my eye.  The women.  I noticed the role that women played in telling the Resurrection Story. 
  • Luke 23:49-But Jesus' friends, including the women, who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance watching
  • Luke 23:55-As his body was taken away, the women from Galilee followed and saw the tomb where his body was placed.
  • Luke 24:1-But very early on Sunday morning, the women went to the tomb
  • Luke 24:4-As they stood there puzzled
  • Luke 24:5-they were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground
  • Luke 25:8-Then they remembered that he has said this (what the angels told them at the tomb)
  • So they rushed back from the tomb to tell his eleven disciples and everyone else what had happened.
  • Luke25:11-But the story sounded like nonsense to the men and so they didn't believe it. 12-However Peter jumped up and ran to the tomb to look.
Love that Peter left the others to go take a look.  I'm not a feminist or a male basher, but I find it interesting that the women are the ones that helped hold everything together until the disciples and others finally came to realize what the women said was true about the empty tomb and the angels.  I find hope and joy that although sometimes as women we find ourselves in a role or place to observe from a distance everything that is going on. But even from a distance, we know.  We watch the details and ready things like they did by preparing the spices and ointments to anoint Jesus' body but by the time they were finished the Sabbath had begun, so they rested as was the law.  But very early on Sunday morning they were up, ready to finish their job and...they were the first to the tomb.  They were the first ones the angels spoke with.  In John 20, we learn that even after coming early to the tomb and then running to tell the disciples, that even after Peter and John had left, Mary Magdalene was there alone crying outside the tomb.  A woman was the first to be spoken to by the Resurrected Jesus. 


Just pondering these things and I have no great conclusion or three points, a poem and a prayer.  I'm grateful that we all have a place, things to do, and influences in our life sphere.  So much to meditate on this Holy Week. 

No comments: