Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 23, 1971

It was the summer of Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World", the Stones, "Brown Sugar," Carole King, " I Feel the Earth Move" and "It's Too Late Baby."  It was the summer I went to youth camp in Palacios, TX.  Our church plus a couple of churches from San Antonio converged on the old vested Baptist camp grounds for a week of sun, fun, bad food, quiet times, late nights and making new friends.  Oh yes and getting closer to the Lord.  I was on a spiritual high since I had just become a Christian in January 1971.  I was looking for God's presence to be even more real in my life.  To tell you the truth, I don't remember very much from that week at camp, but I do remember June 23, 1971.  It was the Wednesday that I took the little blue booklet on the Holy Spirit, done by Campus Crusade...  I am reminded that this was the year of the 4 Spiritual Laws booklet taking off in a big way.  One of my friends gave me the little blue booklet at the beginning of the week.  We talked about what it all meant usually at the end of a very busy and fun day.  Those words in that booklet were burning a hole into my heart.  God was using His Word to get my attention.  Since the camp is located right off the Gulf of Mexico, there was a sea wall or something that surrounded the camp or maybe it just seems like that in my memory.  But I sat there with my Bible and blue booklet...and read...and let God speak...  Right there the perfect picture of taking my sins and casting them into the sea played into the reality of my life.  Even though I was saved, this was the next major big step in my walk with the Lord.  All I know is this, I came home a changed person.  Even my parents noticed some of the rough edges that were major structures of my personality, were gone.  The results of that week even led my dad to fund a camp scholarship fund for kids from single parent homes to go to camp each summer. That fund is still sending kids to camp.   When I was older and more familiar with this scholarship I had my dad add spending money along with the paid way.  That has always been his short sight,spending money.  Once you're at camp, ya need a little pocket money rolling around in your hand crafted wallet you've made during camp craft time. 

For several years after that week at camp, a friend and I sent each other cards on June 23 celebrating the day that our fledgling faith became sight.  After 10 or so years, June 23 didn't hold the same place in my friend's heart and calendar.  We stopped sending cards to one another.  But each year since 1971 I take a portion of the day, re think and relive that time and then relax and resound my thankfulness to God for His faithfulness and love...yes, even the work He did in me that hot summer day in Texas. 

June 23, 1971...Wednesday evening...a milestone on my journey.

Last Sunday while getting ready for church I heard one of my favorite songs from that time.  Our youth choir did the musical, Natural High.  I don't remember many of the songs, but this one has traveled with me,  When I hear it, I am back in high school, remembering those early days when spiritual is all new and wondrous.  A time where I was looking for signs of God in everything I did.  Don't get me wrong, I still look and keep a watch for His presence, but not with the wonder I had at the age of 16.  Here are the lyrics...

My Little World


Oh God of the stars, the sun and the moon

Oh God of the wind and the sea

Though You’re everywhere

How amazing it is

That You can be here with me



The uncharted craters of planets beyond

You know like the palm of your hand

And yet You’re concerned

With my little world

Oh, help me to understand



I know that miracles happen to people like me

The moment we dare to believe

For we are the objects of God’s mighty love

Far greater than our little minds can conceive



The stars could collide

The sun could grow dim

The whole universe pass away

Still nothing can change the promise He made

And Christ in my heart will stay.



(repeat chorus)



Yes, Christ in my heart will stay.



Written by Ralph Carmichael. © Bud John Songs, Inc.

All rights reserved. Used by permission.



 to show up

No comments: