Tuesday, August 21, 2012

If a Question Isn't Asked, Does it Ever Get Answered?

I realized this week I never saw synchronized swimming in the Olympics this year.  Saw pictures and heard about the medal count but when I watched it wasn't synchronized time.  I really don't have interest in the sport which by the way back in the day was called aqua ballet.  Guess I think about the SNL skit and others I have seen that use synchronized swimming as the comedic vehicle.  I have always thought it would be fun to do synchronized choir or some other normal activity in that very stilted and dramatic way. 

Several months ago I wrote about not asking myself the hard questions.  Lots of people challenge themselves with hard questions that demand well thought out responses.  I've been trying to ask myself the hard questions but mainly have been warming up with easy questions like, what should I fix for dinner?  In retrospect that is really a hard question for me, so the better question would be, where do I want to go eat dinner?  Should I buy_____?  Would I rather have Diet Coke or coffee with breakfast.  Questions that I can answer in my sleep.  When I was younger I did ask myself hard questions but youthful zeal answered back.  Sometimes that wasn't the wisest response.  Somewhere along the way in life I stopped asking myself hard questions and have been very content to go with the flow of life.  In fact I can honestly report I have dodged a lot of the harder questions in life.  I have Googled 'asking hard questions' and have found out there are a whole lot of hard questions out there.  Mainly financial planners address money, how you save, spend and invest it as hard questions but there are few others out there writing and asking.  Now I confess I do ask myself difficult questions.  Maybe the hard questions change in seasons of life.  Like I am not asking the hard question of who and what kind of man do I want to date?  What college should I attend?  What do I want to do when I grow up?  OK, I still ponder on that last question but now it is more, who do I want to be?  Now the questions should be what legacy will I leave behind?  How can I make a difference?  Where do I want to invest my time, materials and talent?  Hmmm....maybe I do ask some hard questions and it is more like I don't answer the hard questions...at least not immediately.  Maybe I am too comfortable with the process and just maybe being comfortable in the process I am missing out.  On Twitter @CSLewis had a great quote yesterday; "Our Father refreshes us on the journey with pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home."  I've lingered longer than anticipated in this paragraph but this won't be the last time I think things through in print. 

We got one project done this past weekend.  We moved my desk into the reading room.  It looks great and yesterday I bought a small lamp and small iPod system to place behind the drop down door.  For now we have a table in the entrance way but I'll be on the lookout for something else to place there. 

I'm waiting for my homework for next week to be delivered.  It is part of the training for being a core group leader.  I am really looking forward to this year of study and I have to prepare to do the homework better and more thought out.  This week is my last week of having multiple days of quiet and doing the things I love here at home.  A busier schedule will help me appreciate this time and use it wisely when future quiet opportunities arise. 

Stuff is awaiting me.  Laundry, sweeping and the like but a good book that I am trying to read slowly is calling out louder than anything else.  I think the book just might win. 

No comments: