Sunday, June 23, 2013

It's All In How You See It

We have this picture that originally was purchased to put over our fireplace.  I liked it well enough but have had buyer's remorse for two years.  It was picked out for me and I said ok because of the colors and how well the picture would fit into the color scheme of our family room.I found a picture I liked a whole lot better soon after we moved in and it was much cheaper at Home Goods.  This year I found another picture at Home Goods that now graces the room and yes, it is over the fireplace.  The other picture looks really nice over a console type table and the third picture that I have had buyers remorse over, well for a lack of a better place, I hung it in the entry and there it has remained.  This fall when Rancho De Five has the community garage sale, that picture was going at a good price into the sale.  That is until today.  The framed picture I picked up this morning looks awesome!  It would look good in our bedroom but I am rethinking this.  There is a small bookcase in the area before the second bedroom, bathroom and laundry room.  A small bookcase is there but I am rethinking that and considering getting another bookcase, a tall one for that area.  The new Biltmore bought  picture will look great over it.  On closer inspection of the picture that just hung in the entry, for the first time I noticed the teal and blueish green in the picture.  So on a whim I took that picture and hung it in our bedroom.  It was ok, but it still reminded me that I haven't ever really liked the picture and gee, to remind myself of that fact, I could wake up every morning, see the picture and then experience regret.  Then it struck me to turn the picture sideways.  The scene of the picture is trees reflecting in a lake only it is and I say this cause I know artist terms just about as well as I know craft terms...it is fabric not material, that it is kind of impressionistic but only kind of.  When the picture is turned sideways it makes for a wonderful display of color in muted shades of greens and blues.  It looks great!  Who knew?  Roy didn't even recognize the picture except he thought it looked familiar.  Yes, it has been hanging on the hallway wall where from time to time I have shaken my fist at it and instead of saying mini van I say stupid picture, kind of like Homer Simpson.  Yes, it has come to that.  What made it even worse is that we paid over, gulp...$300.00 for this thing and not too long after moving in, Home Goods had the same picture for $59.00!  Wow, I felt stupid and aggravated and sad that I was going to see that very same picture in the entry when I got home. 




Now this is where I wish I knew how to segway this important discovery of finally liking a painting only because I looked at it differently.  Lots to draw from on that but I will be remiss and let you, dear reader, and it could only be a reader, no plural here, to come to your own conclusions of the lesson in this.  Sometimes when we see something differently it can be a thing of beauty and sometimes looking at something differently, it reveals a better view into something you've suspected has been suspect all along. 

So in the spirit of looking at things differently we decided this summer we would visit some of the area churches.  This morning we returned to a church we have visited once before when we overslept.  It was nice getting to sleep in a little this morning and only ten minutes away for the 10:30 service.  They do things quite differently than at the Baptist church and when the preaching was over I was ready to leave but we still had the offering and communion on the docket.  My knees got quite a workout of standing and sitting and since we aren't of this denomination, we didn't know when to stand, kneel and rise.  When they had a few production problems with their screens, we were the only ones who did not know the Apostle's Creed by heart.  Those people kept on going and didn't miss a word.  You would think my ADD would be worse at HFBC but in a smaller worship center I had difficulty in focusing because of all the action going on in the congregation.   Nothing different at all than at First but guess in a smaller room I was up close and personal to everything.  I think in the recesses of Roy's mind he thought just maybe this would be a good church  fit since he is really interested in a neighborhood church but we both knew as we discussed everything over lunch that it would not be a good fit but a nice option for those oops, we accidentally overslept Sundays.  I think one Sunday this summer we might visit this little church near by that is just so darn cute on the outside and that is the only reason I want to go is to see if it is as cute on the inside.  Yes, summer church priorities have come down to, oh it is so cute, let's go. 

We went to Sprout's after church to pick up a few things, brought them home, put them up and went to Victor's for lunch.  I've had a great nap and we are waiting for the temps to fall a bit before going out to dead head roses. 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I will be your "Reader." ;)