Friday, June 21, 2013

The Hidden Life...From Your Yard Guys

Thursday afternoon and Able and crew just left.  They are the guys who cut our grass.  I wanted to lay or lie low because of the concrete fortifications we are placing around our backyard fence.  To hold them in place around certain areas we had to use some stones until everything settles in.  It does not make for an easy yard cut, more like trim close to the fence.  I didn't want them to come to the door and tell me unless we roll away the stone, Easter reference, that they aren't going to cut the grass or they will charge us more.  No knock on the door and no dirty looks through the windows.  OK, I hid out in our closet where there are no windows.  I have to say I think it is the fence fortification that has cut off access to our yard via the neighbors from the green space.  Haven't spotted an unwanted since Sunday.  Roy goes out each evening to do a look see for me that everything is still in place.

Last Wednesday night I was ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it came to our backyard.  The tree that I watered and took care and nursed back into healthy tree-dom from the drought...I was ready to cut it down.  I also wanted to pull up all the flowers and severely cut back all the shrubs we have been waiting to get tall enough to cover those ugly cable boxes in the backyard.  I even turned down a dinner invite for grilled hamburgers at Peggy's cause I thought we would work all evening long.  But Roy told me we didn't need to do that.  We needed to find where the little booger was getting in and limit his access.  We didn't have to destroy our whole yard to take care of the problem.  I think maybe I have taken this torch and burn approach to many problems I have faced.  Too scared to go back into the corner of the fence behind the electric transformer box to solve the problem but willing to destroy whatever not to make things look so appealing.  Good lesson in that.

I read so many different blogs these days.  I've ventured into some really interesting and thought provoking blogs.  I read blogs that I agree with and blogs that challenge me to think through what I have thought or believed.   The versatility and the beauty of their structured words encourage, even when I don't necessarily think like they do. 

Love this quote from How To Talk  Evangelical blog by Addie Zierman:

 It’s possible to write in the small spaces – in the late nights or the early mornings or the in-betweens. It’s a matter of choosing it again and again, every single day, and it’s a hard choice to keep making. But if you choose it, it is possible to cobble a masterpiece from stolen moments.

She is a mom, a blogger and soon to be published author.  Although she is talking about writing while raising two children the concept of writing in the small places in our days applies to everyone.  You can find her blog here



1 comment:

Etta said...

Thanks for this Nancy.... and for the link - I think somedays I LIVE in the small spaces.... the rest is about putting out fires / spinning plates and being at everyone's beck and call. I giggled at you hiding in the cupboard. If only...