Monday, June 17, 2013

That's a Wrap

Ah, summer!  Hot, hot, and dare I say hot summer.  Once you leave the friendly confines of the A/C just about every bit of energy is drained in three seconds from the heat.  Heat and me haven't done well together over the years and it can still be a huge factor in my heart beat.  I don't know what it is about summer because really when you don't work and have a limited schedule you can sleep in any time of the year, but it is summer and sleeping in seems to be the right thing to do.  Sleeping in is 8:00 am but I could sleep till 10:00 easily. 

I have written before about my jean jacket and dark/black/blue jeans with a white shirt being my uniform of choice or should that be of last resort?  I realize that uniform is mainly for non summer months because the denim theme is carried through for me in summer not in a jacket but in capris and shorts.  If I don't want to make any kind of decision, the denim is the go to uniform.  For more dressy casual the choice of uniform is linen. 

We are still on vermin watch 2013.  We hadn't seen the little guy around but Saturday afternoon changed that. Our neighbor caddie corner to us is not keeping his grass mowed and the weeds are growing tall around his fence giving that little vermin the kind of comforts that they like.  Roy went to Lowe's, bought a trap and also bought stone/brick building materials to cover up the hole he is using to get inside our yard.  On Friday we went to Academy to get me a BB high powered pistol with laser light.  I want to be able to do rapid fire against that thing if I have to go outside.  With my attention span having to cock the rifle six times, I'll lose interest and go onto other things.  Or have a heat stroke.  So we have professional bait/poison box, metal trap complete with a juicy plum, fortifications (and adding to them daily) and fire power that is HOA approved.  I am asking the Lord to provide some hawks to snatch up that little problem.  Peggy has offered her owls that live in the top of the covering over their dock.  I may take her up on that.  Logistically, don't know how that would happen since owls don't respond on command you know like a falcon. 

Saturday morning when Roy got home from Bible study, he and I went to Home Goods.  I love the Katy Home Goods store!  Online I had seen these wooden and wicker storage pieces deeply discounted on Grandin Road.  The price good the shipping costs were astronomical. I almost ordered them on Friday but decided to do a quick look see at HG to see if they had anything similar.  They did but Roy pointed out some obvious flaws to my organizational thinking.  He had nixed a previous idea that morning of big woven baskets because I mainly am looking for someplace to put the bulky sweatshirts and the like but we revisited the idea with a new twist.  We found a red bench that would hold two of the large baskets and shoes could be placed on the support rail underneath.  Lot cheaper and actually has a nice look.  Saturday I worked on rearranging the closet and getting rid of four more plastic storage drawers. 

Friday evening we took dinner over to our friends who have moved into Rancho De Five, just about three miles down the blvd.  Nothing like Peperoni's pizza, salad, and cup cakes from Ooh La La to say welcome.   Heck, it says something to us almost every week, well except for the cupcake part.  I can only wish....

We took a sabbatical Sunday yesterday.  Seems as if in the summer if we make it every other weekend to church, it feels like success.  Roy's schedule had been so hectic and there are just Sundays where rest is called for.  Gee, I think God thought of that.   Besides that, neither one of us was in the mood for a Father's Day sermon. We went out for breakfast at Otto's.  Our first choice had been BWC but it was already busy at 9:00 am.  A new place has opened by us, Cafe Red.  The trendy fusion place didn't make it.  Rumor had it that Cafe Red serves breakfast on the weekends and that is true.  Roy went in and grabbed a to go menu.  Looks like a lot of great choices for lunch and dinner too. 

Last night I was looking for Flora, a new book by Gail Godwin, and I could not find it.  I came to the conclusion that I had left it somewhere on the Biltmore trip.  This morning I was rearranging things and remembered I had put the book in a tote bag the last time Chris was here and I needed to clear out of her way. 

That's a wrap...well for now at least. 


No comments: