Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday Wanderings and Wonderings

We are waiting for the temps to go down a bit before going outside and watering the plants.  Looks like October might be the best time to accomplish this.  I don't think it got as hot today as it did yesterday.  We were hitting the triple digits and just a quick walk across a parking lot or the like sucked all the energy out. 

Yesterday, we went to Lowe's to pick up a few things and order a storm door for the back.  The installer is coming Tuesday afternoon to measure and make sure we won't have to have any special work to make the door fit.  We also got a pressure washer.  Every once in a while we need one and so when the one we've looked at and like went on sale, it came home with us. 

Friday, I went with Dena to Tomball to look at a furniture store.  Wow!  Beautiful furniture and accessories but most of the furniture was so big, like it was designed for McMansions.  We thought about stopping in downtown Tomball to look at some of the cute shops but maybe that will be something for cooler temps.  Goodness gracious!  After looking around and taking pictures of things we liked at the furniture store, we headed back out to the prairie where we met Roy for a late lunch at Lupe's.  Then we stopped at Dena's to look at the progress of the week on her home.  Everything seems to be moving right along.  Dena and I went to Home Goods just to look around.  Can you believe it?  Roy did not want to come along.  Anyway, we both found a few cute things that really needed to come home with each one of us.  All the heat and hard shopping, I mean work, made us realize we needed a sundae from Sonic.  Ah refreshing....

This morning we went to church but not LBS, which the initials remind me of some like of Latter Day Saints for Baptists.  Anyway, we did not go to Sunday School and decided to head over to Le Peep.  The timing was perfect, in-between busy morning breakfast shifts.   We then went to The Amish Craftsman.  I have been contemplating several rearrangements in our entry and in a small hallway going to the guest bedroom, bathroom and the laundry room.  The thought of a small side board type deal had crossed my mind as well as another bookcase.  Really, we are going to need another one soon.  Kim, one of the owners, was so helpful today as we contemplated our choices.  We went with an entry way console with cabinets and hidden drawers.  Now, I can hang the Wendy Whitson picture that I bought at the Biltmore over it.  I'll move the church pew to the little hallway and move the small bookcase that is there now....somewhere.  I may even paint the small bookcase but believe me not in this heat!  Reading inside has so much appeal to me these days. 

When we were at Dena's Roy stepped in this putty like stuff used to level out places on the concrete.  He got most of the stuff off his shoes but we decided to stop in at The Nord to check out shoes for him.  Happy to go to the Nord, not so happy about shoe shopping with Roy.  Although, throughout the years it has improved time wise because finding him a pair of shoes, any shoes was an all day experience.  Because of the traffic we decided to go Valerie Valet and that my friends was a wise choice.  He found two pairs of shoes and I found these cute initials, made from books for the casita bedroom or maybe our reading room or sitting room or the room formally known as the dining room...whatever the heck we call it.  We usually refer to it as my room.  Anyway....very cute.  We got on the Westpark Toll Road and headed toward home.  Then I took a two hour nap.  It has been a long time since I have done that.  It was wonderful! 

A book that someone had told me about, Unhurried, arrived yesterday from Amazon.  I thumbed through it last night and it looks to be very interesting.  Maybe this will help me understand a little better pace versus rest and the not versus of the two.  I'm all in for both but it seems the church world has grabbed onto the rest thing and gone nuts with it.  I know we are more creative when we are rested and make better decisions but church world over uses this and if these people worked in the "real" secular world, they would have to be grabbing rest in-between meetings and deadlines and decisions.  I believe many on church staffs do not abuse this and I want them to be rested and creative but there are always those few, in any area of work, that ride, ride, ride that train into oblivion .  And those who ride are the very ones that seem to be stingy in letting their staff be extended the same privilege of rest.  Of course I am writing this after taking a two hour nap which sometimes in my world can double as a quiet time that is when I am Mildred.  I do know that life for me has become a little more unhurried just because health wise the last four years, that is what I had to do.  I have learned so much on living unhurried because of my heart.  I don't want to lose what I have learned and let pace and hurry dictate my outlook again.  The only exception to this is while driving with idiots, not all in mini vans, that are in such a hurry, unwise choices are made and I don't want to be apart of that accident waiting to happen.  My choice get ahead of it, don't be behind. 

OK, I'm going out to see if it is cool enough to water little dying flowers.  And maybe get out the power washer and clean out the bird bath.  Birds are rather messy.  Birds of a feather do not stick together, they un-feather out in the yard and in the water. 

No comments: