Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Little Bit of This and That

I woke up a couple times last night thinking I heard rain but I was too tired to get up and investigate.  Sure enough, when I came downstairs this morning the evidence of rain in the backyard proved that indeed we received rain.  For a quick few minutes yesterday evening I was able to put out more plants, so I'm glad they benefited.  Today is also supposed to be cooler and for that as always, I am thankful.  The birds are eating breakfast and moving the feeders around has made a huge difference.  Less fights and not as much seed falling to the ground.  There is a new bird at the feeder and I need to look him up in the handy dandy bird reference book.  Interesting in how it scrounges through the dirt for birdseed.  It looks like he would break his beak with all that hard hitting at the ground.

Looks like we are going to have to replace the washing machine lid in Rancho De Five.  Consuela washed a huge rug, that is dry clean only, got the transmission off and there is a huge crack in the Plexiglas lid.  Roy did some research and the lid has been a known problem but the huge rug helped the problem to come sooner than later.  I know she did it to be helpful and Roy talked with her last night.  No washing anything.  He was not a happy camper but cooled off enough to call her and then he said, are you feeling tire marks on your back?  As per our agreement, we can throw one another under the bus as needed.   This is just one more thing to take care of in a very busy season of life for him.

Of course in typical Monablog style, this is a several day post.  I have started several other posts but they aren't for publishing but for me to organize my thoughts and then let the stuff that is bothering me...let it go.  I have it down.  Sometimes writing with an audience in mind is one of the best ways for me to write on difficult subjects.  Oh well.  I have had the past two days to get everything ready for the next "visitor" to The Ander House.  It is a trip into Greenville/Spartanburg, and I'm looking forward to picking them up.  The weather has been cooler so being in the house has almost been near to impossible but this cough due to cold has limited a lot of what I wanted to do.  Yes, it has been a long time since a coughing jag almost made me leave a store.  It was that ugly kind of coughing, complete with tears and dare I say snot.  At least I had a tissue with me.

We are in the middle of North Carolina strawberry season and those berries are flying off the shelves.  The produce stand nearby had their workers out in the fields for a second picking run through.  There was a group of people waiting for those strawberries.  I went ahead and ran errands and stopped at the produce stand in Weaverville.  I got a bucket of berries from SC, from same farm as where I bought before and they were very tasty.  So far I have frozen eight quarts of berries.

I haven't been too keen on the fact that a couple of crows have found our backyard but when I was doing some of my Nancy Nerdly reading, I found out they will eat mice.  So, I need those crows to keep coming to keep that little rock mouse, I know I am being optimistic thinking it is just one, in check.  The chipmunks scatter when they see the crows.  The bird that nearly bashes its beak is a brown thrasher.  Have several of those birds visiting.   This has been another Nancy Nerdly report.  Oh, and I joined a group on FB of people who live in this area and love knowing the history of the area.  I am learning so much about old buildings and churches.  Oops, I just lost several to extreme boredom.

Well, I better finish up breakfast and get ready for that all important pick up.






No comments: