Friday, September 28, 2007

And Now for the Hunting and Fishing Report

If you go to Lake Sommerville this morning crappie and bream are running. The Texas City Dyke (this is a place, not a woman) reports that specks are running and there is some top water action. Others along the coastline are reporting that the water is still too warm for fish to come in too close to shore, but there is some good fishing underneath the birds.


I finally decided to see the men who wake me up Thursday-Sunday mornings with the fishing and hunting report on sports radio 610. I decided to look them up because one of them is retiring October 21 and I have been waking up to these reports for years. I listened before Capt Wayne and Capt Benny, I listened when it was Bob Stevenson and his son giving the reports. What is unusual is I have no interest what so ever in fishing and hunting, but I love hearing all these men and some women call in with reports and knowing the options of contacting them for their Guide services.


There has been so much I have learned through the years from all these morning wake-ups. I have wondered if anyone else notices that Capt Wayne monopolizes the whole conversation. He interrupts and cuts people off, not in a mean way, but in a "I have been doing this type of thing much longer than you" kind of way. After all these years of listening to him I know who he loves talking with and the few that get on his nerves, namely the guide from the Woodlands. With the tremendous growth in the Woodlands of shopping centers, I would think the only guide needed there would be a shopping docent, who just like a fishing guide takes you to all the secret fishing places, the shopping guide knows all the secret places to get a good deal. Never tried any but from the morning show I've been told that crappie is some good eating. Somehow I cannot bring myself to eat any fish that has those first 4 letters. Capt Benny still competes in fishing tournaments all through the South. Capt Wayne will tell you that the tournament life is really for the young, but Capt Benny got a later start in the outdoor world. He was a church music minister for many years. In those early morning dozes in and out of sleep I have sympathized with Capt Wayne when his daughter in law died of cancer and when he had a heart attack and was out of commission for several months. The outdoor folks stay true to their own and do fund raisers for their own when there isn't enough insurance or money to cover medical needs. These have been some fine people to be associated with through the radio.


I know that when the wind is from the Southeast, it is favorable fishing in the bay and the Gulf. I know that this is the time to get your deer camp ready and that bow hunting will begin in October. These sportsmen are trying to pass on this time honored way of living to children and teenagers. At least once a month a sporting club hosts something to get children outdoors. I think this is commendable.


All these years I have listened in the dark hours before being truly awake and have thought what these two men must look like. I pictured rugged outdoorsy types past their prime, but still with that hint of Old Spice manliness. So this morning I went to sports radio 610 and looked them up. They are exactly like I pictured them to be.

That is Benny on the left and Wayne on the right. I don't know the names of the fish or the deer.

Why am I telling you this? I have no clue, but it does make me think that maybe to some people I live out my life with Christ like these radio guys live out the sporting life for me. Has my interest, but have no desire to give it a try. People around me know some interesting facts and facets of the Christian life from me, but maybe the way I live out the WAY is not at all interesting for them to experience themselves. Many call living out Christ's life as missional or intentional or authentic. I calls it all that. There in is my desire to live in Christ...to walk out life in His great strength and power. When we stifle all that God wants to do or only believe God in to the level that we understand, according to Roy, is like going hunting without a gun. Spiritually I am on empty, but the low fuel light hasn't come on yet. Today I ask the Lord to fill me up with His presence and now metaphorically as I am in the world today, may I be hunting with a gun, with the power of almighty God living in and overflowing through me. May my life be more than interesting, may it bring desire to those I am in contact with to be introduced and experience this wonderful Savior and Friend, Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Lisa Pierre said...

I thought tonight after the pastor said he'd leave us alone to talk about Nordstrom, that he needs to know how deep you fish and how deep-fried you like your fish! This is good stuff. And This Time I read it all and not just scanned it.