Sunday, September 2, 2007

Things That are Making me Laugh

I have laughed so hard this afternoon and I hope the laughter continues. Everything is cracking me up and with good reason. First click on this link, this is a friend of Laurie Mounce. She has a scene from SNL that will totally crack you up...it cracked up the actors playing the parts so much so that they struggled to deliver their lines.

Dana and Linda are cracking me up with their comments asking if I have enrolled in the Master's program at Southwestern Seminary because I went all domestic this weekend with the cleaning up clutter and the Dyson. I don't need no stinkin diploma. No, isn't it amazing, I made those decisions without taking one course, but I will admit going through the Hebrew alphabet while vacuuming. You see dear ones, if I had begun my course work, I would bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan and never, never, never let Roy forget he's a man (by asking him to take out the trash...tee hee) cause I'm a woman...w-o-m-a-n, I'll say it again...no I won't I am tired of trying to remember the lyrics to that song.





One of my projects this afternoon was cleaning out the bathroom cabinet underneath the sink. It is the catch all of, who knows where this belongs...I will just throw it in here. Buddy was my able helper. In the very back and far recess of the cabinet, there was something in need of disposal, not a dead mouse or roach, but feminine products that I no longer need. Uh, for the men, it wasn't out of date Ajax or anything like that, it was regular things and oh some were super. I even disposed some accouterments that had wings. Accouterments is what Peggy and I have called those products since our days as sponsors at Camp Houston. Side story, this is when Peggy and I were first friends. You can mark it down in a Sharpie, but camp brings the...not the best, but in the words of an old song, "there is a river that flows from deep within" out in almost every young woman during that week at camp. "Aunt" Flo or "Grandma" as Peggy and I affectionately called it, would visit. You would know by the deer in the headlight look as they asked me to go into town and buy accouterments for them. They sheepishly could not tell you what brand or kind they wanted but would write the request on a piece of paper... Always with wings, extra light, and Ranch Dressing on the side... As sponsors, we would have to be the bearer of bad news, uh we are in Leaky, TX, they don't have choices, they have one product in each form. My first year as a sponsor this totally took me by surprise and by the next year I was an old pro buying and bringing every type of product on the shelf for those moments of our lives. Peggy and I were so intrigued by the whole process that we went to the Word to find our answers. Where else to look but Leviticus. As a teenager, Leviticus got me through boring Sunday night church, but I digress. Peggy and I found out that during that not so fresh time, the women would go outside of the city and sit on straw. Really, that is pretty gross, but I think the Lord knew women just needed some time alone and since they were unclean, they got it. Instead of saying, I've got a headache, biblical women probably ran out of the tent yelling, "on the straw, got to run." So from that time forward until surgery rendered Peggy and I straw less, we always said, we were on the straw. One year because Peggy and I are such biblical scholars, I took a Playtex product box and cut out two doves for her to take to Johnny as an offering to show her time was over. That has been 20 years ago and she came across those Playtex doves as she was cleaning out her crime lab. She gave one to me and kept the other. I use mine as a bookmark in my Amplified Bible. I get a lot of looks...





Back to what is making me laugh this afternoon:



  • Buddy - She has discovered all my stuffed sheep on top of a bookcase and she has figured out how to get them down one by one and she makes a trail with them. There are sheep strewn from our bedroom, down the hall, in the living room, to the front door and several are now in grazing position at her food and water bowl. Buddy is a shepherd, she is leading them to still water. I have been trying to catch her doing this. I was trying to sneak a peek at her and she caught me. She ran toward me meowing like, "Mom, leave me alone. Can't I do anything?"

She also discovered I had put up the throw that I bought at SPA Nord away. It is so soft and she loves to kneed it, but the problem being, with all the kneading, bits and pieces of it comes off. So, if I am going to have a throw for those tepid days in December, I had to put it up. For now I have it in a large shopping bag that I thought I had hidden from her. It wasn't too long ago I heard the rhythmic sound of a bag bring crunched. She had found it. I moved the bag and heard the sound of the crunching bag. So I took the bag and hung it on a hook at the top of my closet door. She is now sitting back there trying to figure out how to get that bag down. When I think I hear something, I get up to check on her. The pads in cats paws are sensitive to vibration and they memorize the vibration of your walk. So that by the time I get back to the bedroom she is sitting at the door looking at me like, hey, I'm not doing anything.

This morning at church I filled in at the door as a greeter until someone came along to help Laurie Mounce. It was really kind of fun greeting people and laughing with Laurie in between the greets. CP came up to me all a dither...she was wearing the Team Kid t-shirt with a denim skirt and I might add panty hose... puh lease...anyway, she wanted me to report to Jason that she had worn the t shirt like he had asked to help advertise for Team Kid. That cracked me up. By watching what she wears, you can know what is on her calendar. The black suit-either a funeral or a meeting with the Pastor, floral skirt with sweater set-meeting with someone important, but not as important as the Pastor. The constant- panty hose it is not respecter of persons.

Remembering Dana laughing at the Writing Workshop has caused me to laugh this afternoon.

I know this won't come as a surprise, but I am easily amused and easily entertained. With this in mind, I need to quit bringing my Mickey Mouse pen with me to meetings and to church. It is so much fun for me, but probably very distracting to others.

Think I will go to You Tube and watch some more old SNL and SCTV sketches.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh CP..what are we going to do with her????

Lisa Pierre said...

I hated camp. That must be where everyone learns to jump on other's backs.
'sing a song, lisa, sing a song.........' They wouldn't shut up!

Dana said...

Helloooo! Okay, so the legs need to look that lovely shade of mannequin year around! It's what a lady does!

Accoutrements and dither...writing those down..

I find the definitions of accoutrement very interesting:
1. An accessory item of equipment or dress. Often used in the plural.
2. Military equipment other than uniforms and weapons. Often used in the plural.
3. accouterments or accoutrements Outward forms of recognition; trappings: cathedral ceilings, heated swimming pools, and other accoutrements signaling great wealth.
4. Archaic The act of accoutering.

Anonymous said...

accoutrements - oh those were the days - every girl sponsor can so relate! And the days of Peggy and Nancy at camp. . . please come back. . . I so miss those days!

How boring our lives would be without CP in them! She does give us much material.

And Lisa P. . . I'm still praying that God changes your heart! Sing the "Star Spangled Banner" and they leave you alone.

LMS