Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nunsense and Nonsense

Last year Roy and I began to support financially Sisters of the Living Word. They just happen to be nuns in the Chicago area. We get a quarterly newsletter updating their ministries, lives and celebratory events.

I have always been fascinated with nuns. In their habits they seemed magical and mysterious. Of course my only working knowledge of nundom is from movies and TV shows. The nuns I saw in the Sound of Music, Where Angels Go Trouble Follows, The Trouble with Angels and the Flying Nun seemed kind but strict. Wise and loving. Roy has advised me that I have romanticized the view of their calling. Growing up Catholic and being in parochial school until the 9 grade, Roy paints a different picture completely. He bears some emotional scars, but his older brothers bear actual physical scars. Scars or not, he came into high school with a strong educational footing and thus he can thank the nuns of his early years that the following initials are found after his name, CPA, CIA (auditor not spy), APA, JD, MBA, and SCCEP. I have probably forgotten some accreditation. The only thing I have at the end of my name is empty space. I went to public school.

Several years ago we were invited to attend a concert that happened to be at a convent on the East side of town. We were with a group of Baptist friends and again all but Roy were taken in with the beauty, tradition and mystery of candles and saints of the Catholic church. In this huge crowd of people milling about, searching for their seats or standing dead still and silent taking in the beauty of the chapel there did not seem to be one usher in sight and it was a ticketed event. Yet there was order. People were finiding their seats without too much panic or bother. There seemed to be some invisible usher.

Roy knowing our groups fascination with the whole evening began bringing and introducing nuns to us. We had so many questions and each nuns visit with us, interesting and enlightening.
The acoustics in the chapel were superb and we enjoyed every harmonized, diphthonged, and dissonant note being extracted and presented from these trained voices. Afterwards as friends are wont to do, we let the crowd saunter out while we continued our conversations from before the concert. Everyone wanted to know how Roy could spot and pick out the nuns in the crowd. There wasn't anything appearance wise for them to stand out. He said for him it was easy, he knew from their posture and gestures. He explained that spending the formative years of ones life with nuns makes an indelible impression. Roy said nuns point differently than anyone else in the universe.

On my way to church several Sundays ago, my mind, prayers and thoughts were given to the thought of seeing God's direction in my life. The decisions I have to make in the next several months are critical and I didn't want to miss the providence of God. That particular Sunday morning I was looking through the newsletter from the good Sisters in Chicago and in my brief ride in to church God used the story that I just shared with you. I know if I am spending time with Him I will know His direction in the midst of the crowdiness of my my life. I will see His posture and gestures to know this is the direction or this is the way. I want to be able to know and follow His index finger pointing out this way. I want to be able to pick out God in the crowd of work, the crowd in my head, the crowd of decisions...yes send in the crowd...they're already here.... (you know send in the clowns...) To SEE GOD in:

  • I am way too busy at work, but I need to see Him giving the direction.
  • My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this week. We need to see God's guidance as we traverse this unknown road.
  • My brother's health issues now has a name, ITP. It is an autoimmune disease where his body is attacking itself. His body thinks his blood platelets are foreign objects and is set on destroying them.
  • Roy needs to hire more people for his dept so his life is not consumed by work. He needs to see God's hand.
  • I have friends who are facing health challenges of family members. To recognize God's voice is a much needed thing.

Last night I was skimming a book I've read before, The Resilient Life. The author addresses the importance of not missing out on life in the calm and restful seasons. And certainly living a full life during major challenges and difficulties, don't miss out on God's life in the midst of those events. The author stresses the importance remaining generous, investing in the lives of others, loving God, letting others invest in you... Take time to enjoy little things...make time for those things that nourish your soul. Even in the difficulties we have to take in nourishment or we just burn and flame out doing the critical and in everything else going through the motions.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with Cheryl. We are going to go over the results of my Birkman test. The results were not surprising for me, but it is good for me to see them on paper. Probably one of the more interesting facets of the test was what is shown as usual behavior (response outwardly) and what is going on inwardly. That graph was eye opening.

I started talking about nunsense and now I will write a few things of nonsense

  • I think Christine Mangrum is one of the funniest people and I wish I spent more time with her.
  • I love that I tagged Sharon and she did it. Thanks!
  • I bought a crock pot cookbook last night because of Amanda's blog on Ode to a Crock Pot
  • My soul cries out with CourtneyS for some fall weather
  • Becky's Bridal shower was so much fun and actually doing lines from Greater Tuna with Emily Skaggs was the best
  • Tomorrow night will be my first time to attend the book club I have been invited to join. I will get to see some friends from tennis and make new friends. The fact that most of these women live in River Oaks is always intimidating to me. When I played tennis I said my ministry was to the up and outers...those who trust in money and privilege...looks like God has put me right back in there with them. I am in their world but not of their world.

Well, I better move on with my day. Roy is studying for his lesson tonight. I need to do a few things around here before going up to church and making sure it is all good for Cafe Ascend this evening.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Love this post... are you leaving us? Is that one of your decisions? I am praying for you!!!

Also, I did the meme. Check it out...especially number 5...interesting...

Nancy Mon said...

No, I am not leaving you, I am contemplating becoming Catholic...Don't tell Roy I am contmeplating becoming a nun...no not really. Heck, since they don't wear their uniforms anymore they have to think about what they are going to wear just like the rest of us.

FitzandMolly said...

I liked this post, too.

Anonymous said...

hey,
so sorry to hear about your mom and your brother. although it is great that your mom willingly went to the doctor. i pray that wisdom and clarity will be lavished upon you!
much love...

Lisa Pierre said...

"I went to public school." Gosh-dangit that's just craaazzzyyy! Weak from laughter....
I need a nun-point, not gunpoint.
I've been tagged and I don't know how to play. I'll need to get the instructions and/or READ the post. But don't tell me now or I'll have lost you on "first, you......" I might even have to be looking face to blinders-on-face at you without any music, talking or pretty scenery around to understand. How in the world I have made it past 17, I don't know!
Lastly, Cheryl-yayyy, AND, Royyyyyy..........

Anonymous said...

Nancy....you need to come my side....
the Episcopal side!!!
You could be a nun.
I have and am still thinking on becoming a Monk.
Just think.....Monk OEG......lol...
Great post.