Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm Giving it Everything I've Got

I am so in the mood for Fall. I am trying with everything I've got. Tonight I made the supreme sacrifice and I used a crock pot for the first time in 29 years. Well, I have used my new one to keep Wassail warm at Christmas. That doesn't count. Friday I bought a frozen Marie Calendars Chicken and Dumplings for the crock pot. I told Roy last night, we are having dinner at home. He nearly fell over. He volunteered to get a crock pot out...he was leaning toward Harvest Gold when I asked him to get the new one out. He refereed to it as the Wassail Warmer. That's just sad. Anyway, he cleaned it up and this morning I followed the directions for C&D. It was then I realized I had not bought milk for the last stage of the cooking. After work I braved the Houston traffic and went to the grocery store for milk. Yes, I know there is a Stop and Go or a Go and Blow or whatever the convenience store is called at the end of the street, but Roy never trusts milk from a convenience market. Right there I did two good things...sacrifice time to get over to the play grocery store and submit to my husband's wishes for fresh store bought milk.



I am giving it all I've got. I wore long pants today...but I wore sandals. We made chili last week. We ate at Goode Company Barbecue...you know all the things that you want to do in the fall. If we had a yard, I would pretend rake leaves. Still, it is in the 90's. Tomorrow I am going to wear socks. That should help usher in the cool temps, the falling leaves and generosity of good will that Fall seems to bring.



Starbucks is serving Pumpkin Lattes. If you go to Tuesday night Bible study, it is calendared as Living Proof Fall Bible Study on the church calendar. I am aching to wear all the brown hues and accessorize with hints of paprika in a scarf. We will soon be singing Thanksgiving Hymns wearing our hot pink capris and white linen shirts if it doesn't come soon. For some reason I want fall more than ever. I am waiting for that morning when I walk outside and I am blasted with a cool breeze.



Come quickly Fall, please come. My next step of faith is to wear my new wool jacket. Of course when they carry my limp body out of my office because it is the hottest office in the church, you will know I gave it everything, I gave it my all. When I am covered in a heat rash and suffering from a heat stroke know I did it all in the name of Fall. Carole King wrote it best and James Taylor sang it...Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you have to do is call. And I'll be there...you've got a friend...

7 comments:

Amanda said...

So should I get the C and D stuff for my crock pot? Was it good? I could live on Goode Co. potato salad. Someone give Him some praise. And please tell me you've had campechana at Goode Co. Seafood!

Sassy Shae said...

Nancy... you... cooked...and ate at... home?

Wars...rumors of wars...

I'm ready for fall, too.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya!! I also am waiting on fall in Arkansas. We had one cool-down but it got hot again and on went the air-conditioning. Your ideas are great and if they work, I will try them too!! If any more cool air blows in here, then I will try and send them south......I do feel your pain and desire. Hang in there.....winter will be here before we know it.

Lisa Pierre said...

This IS Fall. That's all she wrote.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, it has been many months since i've "blogged" i was addicted and also "out-of-town" for awhile! I'm back now and just had to visit...this is not relevant to post so you don't need to post it...but i thought of you and our Esther talk when Beth mentioned the crushing leaves and God brought me such a word this morning...you know the times you wish you had slept with a pen in hand...anyway #1- the "leaves" are "gonna" get crushed anyway BUT sometimes they are FRAGRANT...more often i'll bet they are BITTER!!!! Esther is fragrant....#2 As an orphan Esther must have learned the true Value and Worth of PEOPLE... People do crave what they don't have..Her void to fill was a loving family....she therefore somehow grows up to be a woman who Honestly and Sincerelt loves (respects and honors) people...Everyone is pleased with her because she respects their personhood....She can actually USE their advice and suggestions because she respects thier personhoods...she honors them and they in turn want to please her! #3- All the "babylonian beauty stuff" IS just that to her....She can enjoy it because she knows that is meaningless....She doesn't have to compete with anyone on material or beauty or status terms because that has NO MEaning for her...She studies people like bethat the airport...she therefore knows them and treats them as INDIVIDUALs...both benefit!!!!!enough enough there is more but i'll shut up and by the way..i didn't know Marie made a dinner you had to actually cook!!!!! My favorite is her chicken pot pies...BUT i may have to don the apron, hat and potholder and drag out the crockpot andcook up some dumplings....maybe in honor of Fall I will use the Harvest Gold!!!!! see you tonight....however i will remain, yours truly, anonymous

The Synnott's said...

you are all cracking me up. every blog i read has something about "where is fall?" i cant wait for fall! it is going to be great! can you believe october is next week?

COOKED? what? how did it turn out?

Ulovebeth said...

I really want to wear fall clothes, too. I even stopped shaving my legs already.

Is there a type of guide for how women in the south should dress for the fall and not sweat to death?

Nancy, I think it's time you and The Nord collaborated on a Fall Fashion Collection for the Southern Woman. It's just too hot for all those things that the stores and magazines are trying to push on us.

Are capsleeves the answer?