Thursday, January 22, 2009

Memories from my Desk Drawers

Today seemed like one long day. I don't know if it was the absence of some being in Shelby training all day looooong. It could be that I am wrapping things up faster than I thought and my heart and mind are waiting for me at home. Peggy texted me this morning to meet her for lunch. I took a long lunch because we had a whole bunch to catch up on. Yet the afternoon dragged by. Finally around 3:30 I began to find some interesting things I totally forgot about in my desk.

One thing I found was the calendar I bought when I first came to work in 2002. I have all kinds of notes written in it. Instructions for all kinds of services to use for events, directions on how to use the copier, and endless lists of things to do. Good memories came flooding back about my early days of working at the church. I also could feel the fear in my lists because I was so afraid I was going to forget something and the whole event would be ruined. Little did I know then, I don't possess that kind of power.


The funny item I found today was a container of roll on body glue, to keep your clothes in place. I was given this ancient bottle by a little ol' lady. Seems like it was about 4 years ago. I don't quite remember why it was given to me. The bottle has a hand written price tag and no bar code. So that tells you how ancient this glue is. I was going to throw it away when the thought came to me...I had on droopy socks today. They would not stay up. So, I got that baby out and rolled on the glue to my legs and pulled up my socks. That glue had not lost its power. My socks stayed up all afternoon and into this evening. This evening Roy and I went to the Galleria and did quite a bit of walking...and those socks didn't move, didn't droop, they stayed up. On Monday I am going to pack that little bottle up with my stuff. I just have to wonder if that glue would work on the bags around my eyes and the various and numerous places I could find to use the glue. It might be better than plastic surgery. Only water loosens the grip. So, I could never go out in the rain or everything on me would fall...that would not be pretty.

4 comments:

jené said...

I just have to ask, were you able to take your socks off tonight?

Anonymous said...

That glue sounds like you might be able to re-market it as an anti-aging miracle--that is, if you want to start another career. You're in my prayers this morning. Love, Annette

Laurie M said...

I am quite sure I had one of those calendars as well.....or several checklists that were working documents.

You'll be missed, my friend!

I was at the Nord yesterday...I should have looked for you!

FitzandMolly said...

what she doesn't mention in this post is that she'll still be wearing those socks on sunday.