Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oh What a Beautiful Saturday

This absolutely one of the most beautiful Saturdays. A warm January 31 and the call of Mustang Sally drew me. I really did have some errands to take care of, but I took the scenic and slower way to pay attention to the beauty. It seems as if we convertible drivers have a secret nod or something because on these beautiful days we sense the jealousy of other drivers cooped up in their regular cars or SUV's. The rest of the time in Houston convertibles are noisy on the inside, not safe from lightning strikes in thunderstorms, and they all eventually leak. Oh my friends, it is so worth it on a day like today.


So Sally and I began our journey over Memorial City way to pick up a few things. Then headed toward the Kroger to pick up a few items on sale. Starbucks for a grande Skinny Cinnamon Dulce where the barrista asked me if I would give him a ride around the parking lot. I said I would but he declined and went on about work. I headed over to Barnes and Noble to look for a gift which they didn't have but I found a few things for me. Finding a Wendall Berry book that I had not read was a highlight among the various and sundry purchases. With a Berry book in hand and craving orange chicken I made it to Fu's Garden in time to take advantage of the luncheon special. I love their orange chicken and I was lost in delight of good food and a good book.

For the most part I hadn't been surrounded with people at Fu's but then the hostess sat several right around me. Their chatter and conversation pierced my absolute and wonderful quiet. Those seated around me were families, extended families. This morning as I worked on my 25 random things about me I realized I don't do family well. I am not a good family member except to Roy. Could it come from not being around family much as a child? Is it due to the fact that there is something about family where they think they have every right in the world to boss and tell you what to do when they have no clue whatsoever the situations and circumstances of your life? Because I don't do family well, I don't lend suggestions or jump in to help and I don't expect my family to do something like that in exchange for a dinner here and there and the opportunity to tell you the mistakes of your life as they judge based on erroneous information. About the only family I feel close to are my nieces Megan and Erin. On my wish list of family dynamics, I wish I knew my sister in law Allison better. I love reading her Facebook entries. She is funny and enjoys life. I wish my cousins and I were closer. At least Facebook helps us keep up with the goings on of life. Yep, not good with family stuff. When I hear stories of vacations or traveling with family members my brain cramps because I don't understand why anyone would want to do that. Other than Roy, I would travel with friends any day of the week over doing the family thing.


Well that totally got off track about a beautiful Saturday. Well, I finished up lunch and a huge wave of tiredness hit me. I headed back to home where I have more things to bring in from the car and trash to take out to the dumpster. Haven't heard from my friend Beth yet, maybe our wires got crossed.



Once I do my above mentioned chores I will probably do through one storage box in my closet and then call it a work day. That Wendall Berry book is wooing me and I'll probably have some hot tea and a cookie a little later in the evening. I miss Roy. He will be home tomorrow. He sounds so tired on the phone. Good news m-i-l has been moved to a step up room which comes between ICU and a regular room. She is doing well and was sound asleep after complaining yesterday of not being able to rest. God is good!


Yesterday afternoon Dena and I went to see the movie Slumdog Millionaire. Great film and worth seeing. I shut my eyes in the violent part and it was probably good I didn't know it was rated R. I haven't been to a movie theatre in a long time. I was blown away by matinee prices. The last time I was there maybe it cost $5.00. Then we went to the Nord for dinner. I had my last free dinner card to use before January 31. We split a steak, had an appetizer, and white chocolate bread pudding for dessert. Oh, it was slap your mama good! We did a quick perusal of pajamas on sale and we both were fortunate to find something good on the cheap. Dena had this brilliant idea of going to Best Buy to get the soundtrack of Slumdog. So we went to Best Buy on Richmond. On a Friday night they had only one... I am going to repeat this ONLY ONE person working checkout. The line to check out was Christmas Eve long at... Only ONE checkout lane for tons and tons of people. Dena and I checked out of the line after only being in line a few minutes. No manager calling for more check outs to open, staff standing around as if it didn't matter. So why should Best Buy get our money? We thought about going to another store but it was almost 8:30 and I was tired and ready to call it a night. So Dena took me home. I checked out iTunes and can get the soundtrack for $8.99 a much better price than Best Buy.... Maybe their name should be Best Buy Somewhere Else.


Oh to answer anonymous' question, the Play Grocery store is what I call Rice Epicurean. I only go there to play cause if I really did my grocery shopping there I would be broke.


The sun is setting on a beautiful day. Today makes up somewhat for all those hot summer days we have in October.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray for a beautiful day for both you and "sally" to enjoy!!!! I do hope to catch you two cruising down the highway some perfect day like today...Do you do the "scarf" thing? Glad to hear you'll be back with your honey manana!@#@!
signed: one of the many anonymouses!!!!

Amber said...

oh man I just laughed out loud when you explained to anony that you call Rice Epicurian "the Play Grocery Store." I remember the first time my poor rual missourian self went into one of those....It was a site...I stuck out like a sore thumb and I am sure i spoke loudly as i gasped at prices!

on a different note, I had a great chat with amy kuntz yesterday and she mentioned you and I've been thinking of you ever since. Hope you are great!!

Anonymous said...

You know what Nancy-I don't do family well either. I don't know why. My husband is awesome and I love being with him as well as with my children. I keep hoping it will change. Congratulations on your retirement! You are such a joy and I am sure that you will be missed. Now you can get started on that book!! You are a wonderful writer! love, missy from okc