Monday, January 19, 2009

Moving On

Two weeks to finish up my work at HFBC. There are so many little but important details that need to be watched over and taken care of. I am trying to leave with some of this taken care of. Maybe it will go by the wayside, who knows. Probably most of it needs to go by the wayside and looked at with fresh eyes.

I began cleaning out computer files today. I have Mildred and Gertrude scripts, Sunday School lessons I have taught, thoughts I needed to capture in a moment and along with the serious is the fun. Jokes, funny pictures, just things like that. Lot has been discarded and much has been transferred to my home computer where I will eventually set up folders to store all these musings. I have brought home just a few things so far and will really need to get with it this week in bringing home my books, lambs and trinkets I have accumulated over the years. In my office hangs several pictures that I brought from home, so those will need to return as well.

This evening I learned of some sad news about the passing of a friend of Doug and Nancy. In fact Debbie was more than a friend to Nancy. Nancy was Debbie's private duty nurse for over 10 years. Debbie had MS and it took MS a long time to take Debbie away from those who loved her here on earth. She is in heaven completely whole and probably making Jesus and the disciples laugh. I only met her once when she took us out to dinner at some big fancy schmancy country club in Nashville. That dinner and the laughter and love was in fact the main course, much more than delicious Southern staples of comfort food done up right nice and fancy was a highlight of my visit to Nashville. Debbie called me on the phone once with a very gracious and kind offer for someone and I was happy to help her and keep her secret gift quiet. My sister in law Nancy is mentioned in the obituary as her steadfast friend and nurse. This blog was set up before she died for people to send in their thoughts so the family could read them to her. What struck me as I read through them was the joy and love that Debbie brought into every one's life. If I had known she was so ill, I would have written in like so many who said I was only with Debbie once but.... Debbie Pitts has left a legacy and touched so many lives. If you have any spare moments, read through some of the comments and be blessed at how God was glorified in her life. Then take a moment and reflect on the legacy you are leaving. Our lives count for so much more than where we work or what we have. Our lives should be reaching into a lost world and showing the love of Christ. Our lives should be reaching into our immediate world, friends and family showing the love of Christ. People say you should live each day like it was the last, but if I had that in mind, I wouldn't quit hugging everyone and wouldn't want anyone to leave. I hope when that time comes for me to go the last day of my life is filled with laughter, fun, love, prayers and peace...you know just like any normal day. :)


I thought I would post the obituary:
Pitts, Debbie Sherman
PITTS, Debbie Sherman A woman of abiding joy, profound faith, self-giving love, and beautiful creativity, Debbie has brought near the fragrance of God's love to everyone whom she has encountered. Even in her long, valiant battles with health, Debbie has constantly opened her life to others' sorrows and joys. The vast number of individuals who have attested to Debbie's enduring impact on their lives demonstrates her uncommonly kind and giving heart. Debbie has been a rock and a refuge for all who have had the joy of being in relationship with her, because she herself has rested on the Lord as her Rock and her Refuge. In addition to being an unparalleled wife, mother, and friend, Debbie is remembered as an artist whose talent she has shared freely with so many. Her loving and faithful husband Hampton of over 35 years, and their beautiful daughter, Keely carry on Debbie's legacy of grace, generosity, and kindness. She will be deeply missed by them, her son-in-law, Joshua, her granddaughter, Salem, Hampton's mother LaDawn, her loving and devoted sisters, Sheron and Alice and their husbands, Peter and David, her niece, Jennifer and her husband Cary, and their children, Elijah and Sophie, nephews, Cain and Dustin, her steadfast friend and nurse, Nancy, and the multitude of other friends in her life. To commemorate Debbie's 56 years of life on earth some may wish to send flowers, while others would prefer to make a donation in her honor- Debbie would be delighted by either. Donations may be made to First Baptist Church in downtown Nashville, Brentwood Academy, or the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. A celebration of Debbie's life will be held Monday, January 19th at 11 a.m. at First Baptist Church, Downtown, Nashville. Visitation on Sunday, January 18th from 2-4 p.m. at the church and one hour prior to the service.


If you think of my sister in law Nancy, please say a prayer for her. She lost one of her dearest friends in the world.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I will be praying for sure. What beautiful words to have said of you when you pass away.

Etta said...

Sounds like she was a special lady. Good to be reminded to think of our legacy too Nancy. Thanks