Friday, January 9, 2009

Second Chances

Like clockwork the first day back at work I felt a little tickle in my throat. Tuesday there was some coughing and a sore throat. Wednesday, increasing symptoms and Thursday an all out clobbering of the winter cold. I had been thinking since I had gone through the fall without symptoms, that maybe I would make it through the end of cough and flu season without a trace of either. Didn't make it...


That isn't exactly big news, but what I am about to write is. I will give a quick synopsis and then will write in more detail later on. Word is our computer is back at Micro Center so when it is home and fully restored I will do details. Oh, the computer being back is not the announcement.


My time off during the holiday season was full of things to ponder, pray over, and consider. I kept thinking about the Dr telling me I had been given a second chance. He talked with me quite a bit concerning what and how got me to his office in my condition on September 11. What in my life could I change to help make sure I did not walk this path again anytime soon? He said it at least 4 times, you have been given a second chance, what are you going to do about it? Believe me in the past few months there has been a lot of changes. Learning to say no to social things, going to bed at decent times, changing the way I approach my stress eating, looking at what is causing stress, and portion control at mealtime. All good changes, all making a difference...but yet I knew there was something more. As I contemplated everything, I was reading a Christian fiction, that is an oxymoron, book called Providence. The subtitle is Getting a Second Chance at Life. Providence is a great read and there were so many quotes that I wrote down out of this work of fiction. The Word is taught in that book and it ministered to me.

I have also listened to cardiologists on the radio, who happen to be believers, and the phrase second chance is peppered all about in their conversations and answers to the interviewer. I have been praying asking for Wisdom and seeking God's guidance in this word to me, second chances. I asked Roy and friends to join me in praying about direction.

It became very clear to me that I needed to resign my position of Ministries Associate at Houston's First Baptist Church. God's peace surrounds my heart in this. I told Jason on Wednesday. We both cried. There is so much that I love about the job and I love the people I work with. A good trait to have is taking ownership of the job, but sometimes I took on too much and stressed out over many little things, oh and some big things too.

So, my last day is January 30th. I wanted to help Jason get MidLink, Milestones and Song of Solomon conference taken care of. On February 1, it will feel strange to walk back into church as just a church member and not a church and staff member. Like I said, I have some thoughts on all of this and I will sharing. But for now, you know, if you need someone to go to lunch with or hang out with, I think I will be available. After a while I might even think about working some place part time, but God is going to have to drop that one in my lap. Right now I am all about taking care of Roy, Buddy and me.

13 comments:

Becky Kiser said...

i am so excited for you nancy (even thought i'll miss seeing you so often). i thought the same thing for you when you had said that you got a second chance at life. i can't wait to see how the Lord uses you now that you are free to do WHATEVER He leads you to. you have so challenged me to see God's hand in things now, and not make any excuses with life. it needs to be lived to the fullest... with Him leading! love you!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe it! Well, it'll certainly be exciting to see what God has for you next. And the next time I'm in town, I know you'll be available! ;)

Lauren said...

Okay, that wasn't to imply that you won't be doing ANYTHING, or that God won't have something else for you to spend your time on, just that you won't have a work schedule....

Open mouth, insert foot. :)

Mauimom1 said...

Oh Nancy- I have been praying for you and thinking about how exciting it is going to be to see what He has in store for you. I can hardly wait!!! I know that resigning will be difficult, but maybe I can meet you for lunch sometime at The Bistro! love, Missy

Amanda said...

Nancy, I've been wondering if this was coming and I'm so glad to know that God made it obvious to you. I know you will miss your job and that your co-workers will miss you too. Thank you for the hard work you've done that has blessed all of us.

Laurie M said...

You have a permanent lunch buddy in me. Can't wait for Monday.

lovin' you,

Michelle said...

wow nancy...can not wait to hear how God has guided you through this decision! i know you...and wherever you end up and whatever you do...you will bring life and be the life of the party. :) maybe the Nord is calling your name???

FitzandMolly said...

i am so on the same page with you as far as your feelings of leaving - it was one of the hardest things i've done, to leave a job i love. i'll pray for you, especially that last week of work. it's a tough one!

Emily said...

First let me say....Amen and Amen. I believe this is the right thing for you at this time. You have been such a faithful servant, but now it's time to pass the baton. When we let God lead and try to fall in line with what he has for us, it does bring change. I will continue to pray for you and for this transition in your life, Roy's life, and Buddy's life. Hallelujah!

Ulovebeth said...

I was trying to think of part-time jobs for you, and I came up with being a massage therapist at the Nord, but it might be awkward getting a massage from a fellow church member...so maybe the front counter would be better. :)

Kidding aside, Nancy, I am so proud of you for being brave and for sharing your steps of life. I have never been a paid member of HFBC, but that church has a special way of helping us all to never just feel like members. But remember as a non-paid member you are given the right to say no to too much being put on your volunteer plate. ;)

I will pray that God gives you wisdom and peace through it all, and you are showered with lots of hugs (and also a few special lunches!).

Anonymous said...

Lunch or hanging around sounds great!!!! so does part time at the hfbc library or bookstore...hmmmm????(or you and gertie could open a comedy club) right now it appears that BOTH doctor's orders...i mean suggestions...are to be followed! May the leading be loud and clear...missed you, anonymous

Ali said...

Nancy, you are amazing!

Etta said...

Wonderful opportunity! Good for you for "listening"!!!