Wednesday, April 7, 2010

God Honoring, God Glorifying- One Man's Life

I have just a few minutes because I need to get ready to meet Casi for lunch but I wanted to get my thoughts down about yesterday. We went to the memorial service for Dan Duncan. Lots of Enterprise Product folks had the same idea we had, go early to Second Baptist, get a parking spot and then walk over to Cafe Express for lunch. The paper said this morning that over 3000 were in attendance. The 3000 heard the Gospel yesterday. I believe the DVD of that service could be sent out and used to teach and many would come to know the Lord. Dr. Young was impressive as always but Jan Duncan, the widow of Dan, gave the eulogy and she knocked that baby out of the park! Wow! Neither Roy nor I had a pen because if we'd had one, we would have been taking notes. She emphasised that we are God's love to those He has put into our lives and that we need to use those gifts God has given us to express His love so that others may know Him. She said to give or to be giving is put into each one of us by the Lord and if we have trouble being generous with our lives, time and money, we have handicapped our hearts. Jan quoted from her favorite book, Conversations with God frequently throughout her talk. The music, just everything was so God honoring and glorifying. I think I am still trying to process all that I heard yesterday in that service.





Afterwards in the reception with the family we were able to see so many friends. I was on a very focused hunt to find Dub and Mary. I played tennis with Mary and her sister Marti. Dub retired from Enterprise several years ago as the CEO. The country life is agreeing with them, they both looked rested and refreshed. In 1999 on a girl's night away, I was sitting on the porch at their ranch house in Brenham, early in the morning, the dew and mist covered the rolling valleys. Only Mary and I were awake and we shared conversation and coffee that morning. Mary went back to the kitchen to bring us more coffee and in those moments alone, I prayed for Roy, who had just been laid off. Actually, this story really begins in the summer of '99. Roy was on a huge project and he called to vent frustrations over progress or maybe lack of progress. I told him, shut it down, come on home and let's go out to eat. We did just that and we had dinner at Escalante's, where Dub and Mary had just been seated. We all had dinner together and Roy and Dub talked about the implementation project he was on. Of course Mary and I talked of much more interesting things. Well to us, anyway, back to the story, when Mary got home from the ranch she mentioned Roy to Dub. She talked about his upcoming interviews in Long Island and San Francisco. The rest of the story is history, good history, and Roy certainly has been blessed. But I love those divine appointments that God has. And to even top it off, the divine appointments were fun.





We also ran into Linwood and John Olson. I played tennis with Linwood and we share the love of Southern fiction together. She is the epitome of the Southern lady. John is one of the first analysts that recognized the problems with Enron. We were able to visit with them a little. We saw the mover and shakers of the city and state, in law, in medicine and in business at the reception. There were others there like us, nobodies, but having the same respect and admiration of a humble, hardworking and honest man. Rest in peace Dan Duncan, well done thou good and faithful servant.

No comments: