Monday, April 19, 2010

POJ and Job, Surely There Has to Be Some Good Ideas




















Do you remember all the fuss over the prayer of Jabez back in the day. Everyone had at least two copies of the book given to them as gifts and merchandising went totally and completely nuts. You couldn't walk into a Christian bookstore without being bombarded by POJ shower curtains, underwear, umbrellas, salt and pepper shakers, dishes,lampshades, rugs, and everything that one could think of, to be all Prayer of Jabez. You could decorate just about every room in your home with this stuff. People went nuts. Our crazy Sunday School teacher, not Dena but one who has returned to Second, did a whole stinking series on the prayer and she had to add something about earth, wind and fire to it. I couldn't help but sing, Do you remember the 21st night of September, You Don't Have to be a Star Baby to be in my show to her but crazy teacher didn't have a clue I was singing songs from the legendary group Earth, Wind and Fire. She taught on this right before the craze hit, so I was tired of it already by the time all the hype hit the stores. Nothing had been this big since WWJD. I kind of think home decor merchandisers that cater to Christians are waiting for another biggie like POJ to hit the scene. Certainly it would help with the recession. Well, I think I might have a really good idea for them but don't know quite how it would work.






Seems like many friends are going through the season of Job right now. Lots of afflictions and friends giving them bad advice. Trying to walk through difficult seasons and looking for God's presence in all of it. I need to sit down and think about this and try to come up with some catchy corny junk. My new life verse is Job 6:6, is tasteless food eaten without salt or is there flavor in the white of an egg? I leave you with Mississippi Mass Choir singing one of my all time favs.









2 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

I can't ever see anything with "mass choir" in it and not laugh.

Ulovebeth said...

Nancy,
I remember when the POJ man came to 1st. The message was refreshing to my soul and helped me think, "Wow, it is okay for me to hope!" But it was a bit sad to see how it became so marketed that the message behind the verse got lost."

Not sure if the Job 6:6 verse will catch on, but it's interesting.

And thank you so much for the YouTube. I needed to hear that. And now you better believe that I'm singing it, too!

"you can't hurry God...."
oh yeah!!!! love it!