Monday, January 28, 2013

Wonderstruck-You-Do Something That Makes Your Heart Happy

Today's Wonderstruck challenge is You.  Well, actually it really not you when I personalize it, so it's me.  We are to take some time to do something we enjoy and experience God's presence

Life is one of God’s greatest wonders. Much of your life is spent giving, serving, and working. But today the challenge is to do something that makes you—just you—feel rejuvenated, refreshed, and joyful. Maybe spend some time outside. Or, grab a meal at your favorite bistro. Spend time knitting or enjoying your favorite craft. A coffee date with a friend. A great novel. Spend time today doing something that makes you grateful to be alive and rediscover the abundant life that awaits you each and every day. Even if it’s something simple. It doesn’t have to be complicated. But, it does need to be something that makes your heart happy.


How funny, it has to be something that makes your heart happy and being grateful to be alive.  I went to the cardiologist office this morning so that is my You time.  I believe this is the first time I actually got to have my original appointment and not be rescheduled.  So, I dressed in my second uniform of choice, after my dark jeans and jean jacket costume, denim shirt with a tank top  and jeans.  I try to make it as easy as possible for them to do the EKG.  It was a happening place at the doctor's office.  Once again I was the youngest one in the waiting room that was actually a patient and not there to accompany an older adult.  Ernest, the guy who asks all the questions and does the EKG responded when I told him that, you could use the opportunity to network with people who are experiencing the same thing.  Uh no thank you, I am trying my best NOT to become one of them.  EKG looked great and that is due to the wonderful meds I take but one particular med is one that and these are the words of my learned, professional doctor, you are too young to be on these for very long. It is very hard on the kidneys and liver.  I experience so many bad side effects with it and I will not bore or gross you out with said effects.   So I am going to have ablation surgery in February, several weeks away.  I love how they tell you the benefits and then in hushed tone tell you the five things that can go wrong. 

Another part of the day that made my heart happy was the funny conversation that I had with Peggy this afternoon.  We must have talked on the phone for 45 minutes.  That might be our longest phone conversation ever!  We were both laughing so hard at the myriad of stories we were telling each other and once again we made the vow not to become "one of those cranky old ladies."  We want to be fun and not so cranky as we age. 

My heart was happy yesterday as my crazy friend Debbie and I texted.  She was having the dreaded procedure that the Doctors like you to have over the age of 50 this morning.  I felt so much better about my morning after hearing about hers.

I could not believe Downton Abbey last night.  It did not make my heart happy. What???!!!  I was DVRing it, so the first time I watched it...live on PBS... I was talking with Dena.  I was paying attention to our conversation but watching the TV and I couldn't believe what I saw and I knew I had to watch the DVR as soon as I got off the phone because surely what happened, didn't happen and there would be a surprise just like when Matthew wasn't paralyzed and walked or we found out it had all been a dream on Dallas.  Or finding out House Hunters is fake and so is Storage Wars.  So, I am watching it with sound on the DVR crying, the snot cry as I not only watched but heard the story play out.  In the midst of the most riveting scene when Lady Sybil is in the throws of some darn good acting, Roy stands in front of the TV, what????, and asks me like I am not sitting there crying, did his pants and shirt look good together for the office on Monday.  I am wildly gesturing, get out of the way, move, don't ask me anything and I prepared to throw the remote at him, but then he would have the power and I looked for a book to throw.  He then proceeds to sit with me, not to watch the show, but to watch me....crying.  I don't cry very often.  He wasn't even trying to sneak peek, he sat there, not blinking and watched me cry.   Afterwards, he started making fun of me...crying at such a thing.  I came this close to reminding him about his movie emotions from 'When Peggy Sue Got Married."  He was a hot mess but of course back then in the 80's we didn't say hot mess.  It was a tad embarrassing as we left the movie theatre. 

Yep, all the above made my heart happy, well except for Downton but remembering Roy's movie emotions did make up for the sadness.  I felt close to God through all of this especially when I was aggravated at Roy...I felt close because I was confessing sin of wanting to throw something at Roy and not thinking very nice thoughts.

1 comment:

marty h said...

I was glad they let the baby be born before the seizure. It is not good being a nurse with too much knowledge.