Monday, January 21, 2019

Brrrr.....It's Cold!

This morning I am ever so grateful for Judy C. I texted with her earlier and told her the concerns I had for driving in the cold, little bit of snow and soon coming ice this morning to get to church. Roy had asked me not to get out this morning and normally I would have straight up agreed but this is my Sunday to teach. Judy said she would be there and would take care of the lesson by playing the chapters and have discussion. So next week I'll teach today's lesson. Lots of churches cancelled services this morning but ours didn't.

Light snow is falling and our driveway is looking kind of icy. Our neighbors just drove down our road and they spun a little. There is more snow this Sunday than last week. Earlier the wind gusts were downright scary and it sounded like the house was holding on for dear life. None of the cats are too happy with me this morning. Buddy is upset about Riley in the garage. Riley is upset that I haven't let her out. So I came upstairs cause I'm a little weary of listening to battling cat meows.

One of the best things purchased around Christmas are these Barnes and Noble Sherpa lined socks. They keep the toes nice and roasty, toasty. Gave several as gifts but on this very cold Sunday morning, they are just what I needed.

Taylor cancelled our workout on Monday and I can say I am very happy about that. This cold is supposed to go right into Monday. At some point cabin fever might set in, but don't know, it could be more of a got to get out for supplies kind of feeling later on in the week. More cold, maybe snow forecasted for the middle of the week.

For lunch the cast iron skillet came in handy for grilling a couple of small steaks. The fine folks at Publix had already seasoned them. So a little marinade and it was grilling time. They turned out really good alongside some skinny mashed potatoes. Have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Lots of smoke but didn't set off the fire alarm. Checked on all the cats, all is well, all are not happy with me. It feels like 13 outside and Riley wants out, Buddy, she is keeping an eye on things. Right now everything sounds like a cat meow, the dishwasher, the sounds coming out of my nose and then the real cats themselves but not as much as I am hearing in my imagination.
***************************
Over the weekend the Wall Street Journal had an article praising the benefits of a slow morning. Now, most days, that is standard practice around here, but it wasn't always that way. Of course those working years when additional sleep seemed more rewarding than a slow morning are the exception of years past. But now, retired, living in the mountains and enjoying seasons, even today where the feel like temp is -5, a slow morning is to be savored and appreciated. Today is a slow morning day but it also was a very early start. Buddy didn't have a good night last night so that means....well, you know what that means. Up and down, couldn't get comfortable...wandering...staring, oh that was all Buddy. So this morning when that early morning right before 6:00 am sleep kicks in, I got up. Got the coffee going and needed to check on Riley. I know that upsets Buddy and I try to wait Buddy out and go to the garage once she sleeps but with the frigid temps and knowing Riley won't sleep on the blankets or bed out there, just wanted to see how she fared. She fared well. But to check on Riley meant Buddy had to be put behind a closed door and she was not happy about this. Fussed and her paw and claw connected to the side of my mouth. Ouch! We've made up but neither one of us is especially happy with the other one. Well, we are happier now but.....  I know Buddy doesn't feel good and this helping Riley has to be getting on her last nerve, but Buddy and I are spending good time together, she's a great lap cat in the afternoons when I try to read books.

With the sun yesterday and this morning any residual snow is melting. We don't look to go above freezing today.

My heart is with friends in Houston today. One family is celebrating the life of a godly man and one family is reeling from the shock of a son found deceased, an unexpected death. They all have the hope of seeing their loved ones again, but today it's especially hard to say goodbye and not being able to say goodbye.

Riley is anxious to get outside and I don't blame her.... Keeping a watch for the other members of the Feral Fam. I tried to get them inside yesterday several times and all times, failed.

With things to do and take care of today, I'll end this blog post. Stay warm!


No comments: