Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Slow For Show...Now To Find Some Dough

With Riley wanting back in the garage for a little bit this afternoon and with Strawyer and Punky sleeping on the job, the squirrels were eyeing the backyard. Why? Because there are over 350 bulbs planted back there and they must know a hard cold time is a coming tomorrow and Wednesday. Once again, donning the hat of crazy squirrel lady of north Buncombe County, I found some bad lemons and limes and went outside to throw bad fruit at the squirrels This intrigued Riley who had followed me out of the garage and the sound of lemons and limes hitting the fence where the squirrel had taken up a watch post, stirred the kiddos as well. Sadly, my aim today wasn't as accurate as in the past but I didn't take any warm ups. Still fun getting out for a minute and enjoying these 50 degree temps cause it might take till Saturday to see that warm spell again.

This morning I got out and about to do regular grocery shopping but you know...you buy something you don't need just in case you get to hankering for something. Mine would probably be something sweet. Last week I broke my don't buy anything at the bakery at Publix rule that was instituted after several purchases. You'd think after only one sub par purchase, I would have learned. Almost everything tastes like it is under baked a little and the great deal on their cookies, that looked to be such a deal, didn't turn out to be that great because even the oatmeal raisin cookies were under baked and dare I use the word that so many hate but the middle of the cookies was too moist.  After my stop at Ingles, I had to go to the dreaded Walmart and by happenstance picked up a package of their oatmeal cookies and upon arriving home, tried one. Much better than Publix which is something that normally isn't said by me about Walmart. It must have been a God ordained trip because I went straight to a checkout lane and there wasn't a line.

These past few days I have done something that is more like my friend Dena than me. But, the middle of the afternoon has called for decaf coffee lately. The Fresh Market has a flavor Irish Creme Brulee' and a couple of weeks ago I accidentally bought decaf. It is a delicious coffee so, made enough to put in the carafe that comes upstairs with me on coffee in the afternoon days.

Last Sunday evening I watched Remains of the Day for the first time and last night I watched the CNN documentary on the triplets separated at birth, adopted, and then finding each other in their early 20's. Loved Remains and loved the documentary. Both were kind of sad though.

Riley just came back in the garage. She and the cousins have some kind of truce thing going on now that Camo isn't around very much. Some days I feel like there is headway with the kiddos but today wasn't one of those days.
*********************************
This morning looking out the window a sense of disappointment hit me, no snow. But it wasn't too much after that the snow began around 9:15, just a little later than anticipated. We are probably in the inches zone since we are not that far from the TN/NC border where the elevation is several thousand feet more than here and that area will get 3-5. Now in the midst of the snow, things quiet down. The cows across the road are huddled together around the hay bin. The birds are gathered around the seed bells hung in the trees in the backyard. Buddy is asleep, Riley safely tucked away in the garage with her heater and the kiddos, well, they are stubborn but they were happy to be fed this morning. As always, the work continues to get them inside.

By chance last night I watched House Hunters and low and behold it was a couple, a young couple, looking to buy a home in Asheville. Their budget from 600,000.00-650,000.00. She has just started a business in the area, sorry didn't catch the very first part of the episode. As usual they do cut aways of the city and it came to mind that I know a lot about the surroundings of Asheville but not Asheville proper. Did the know and eat at all the trendy restaurants in my 30's but that was in Houston. Walking distance to shops and stores...well, that would be nice but not for downtown. No complaining that we are about fifteen minutes from that but for now in the midst of rural. That is changing a little every year. They commented several times, yes, this house has the Asheville look and vibe. I don't know, maybe the first house because is was a craftsman style but the vibe of hardwoods and granite is a vibe just about everywhere. Although if you read articles of what's hot and what's not in design, granite counters are out. Of course they are! Gots to keep everyone constantly remodeling. Earlier this week on the blog I wrote about playing on realtor.com and looking at small homes in the Roan Mountain/not pricey parts of the high country in North Carolina. Most everything I like is updated because we are not do it yourself types nor do I have patience for a remodel. But there are homes and condos that don't have updated counter tops or don't have stainless steel appliances...that doesn't matter much to me anymore but not having step in tile showers has fast become much higher on what is important. Didn't realize until this house how much I didn't appreciate the walk in tile shower like we have in Katy. Back to the young couple with lots of discretionary mortgage money....they went the craftsman styled house, with little to no backyard but lots of room to grow into.

Well, the skies are brightening and the snow is melting already, all in a span of about thirty minutes. Although, it was not in the plans to stop and watch it snow for a couple of hours, it was a good decision to enjoy the beauty that takes place in the midst of something that slows you down.

One of the goals of the morning is to clear out two small tall storage tables because I think they'll go to the church yard sale in April. You know those kinds of tables that are used for putting stuff in when you haven't any clue where else to put stuff. Found some interesting things that had totally been forgotten. Now, if only I would find $20.00 or so, then I'd feel compensated for the hard work.


No comments: