Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Fair Cat And Other Things

Another day, another Riley story. I don't ever want to forget these times and moments, all of them, sad, happy, scary, worrisome, joyful.... She has been such a gift these past few weeks and reading other accounts of loving feral cats gives hope but also some fears. Probably in my nativity I am hoping for a non-trap situation. It could happen. But time is not on our side.

Sometimes in this process of socializing Riley I feel like I am in the Broadway play My Fair Lady, except it isn't a musical around here. But wouldn't it be loverly if everything clicked and worked sooner than later.

This morning Buddy slept in a bit so it was easier to get out to the garage to greet the morning with Riley. She came right to me and like the habit we've gotten into, I put my hand out. This morning she gave my hand an extra good rub. We moved over to one of the places she gets treats and again, she rubbed my hand and began to eat but as she did, I rubbed her head and the sides of her face and sounding like George Castanza, there wasn't any rebuff on her part, only taking it in and purring loudly. Overjoyed and I would have danced about the garage, if only there was room. So back into the kitchen where the happy dance took place. A little later I went out and we went through the whole process again...petting her, rubbing her head. All the little victories are appreciated. While taking in and pondering the morning's achievement, the sound of a little voice of a meow garnered my attention, it wasn't Riley but outside. There was Punky roaming about the rocks near the butterfly bush. Riley heard it too because she responded with the loudest meow I have ever heard her make. Out to the garage, we exchanged greetings with a petting of her head, then onto the business at hand, going outdoors. When the backdoor was opened, Punky came running up to Riley, did the nose greet and only then realized my presence. She moved back a little but then came toward Riley again. Out they went to the deck. Got food out for Punky and went inside. Another small step on this long, patient road. Of course Camo shows up....at least her presence keeps the squirrels out of the yard and digging up spring and summer bulbs. Ugh! I look out the window from time to time and Riley is busy watching birds and keeping an eye on things. It is always a step of faith for me to let her out that door in the mornings and pray that she'll want to return in the evening.

Well, Riley came into the garage this evening. At first I thought Camo's presence along with Punky and a surprise Strawyer being in the back might keep Riley from coming in. It is kind of fun to watch the interactions. Camo was on the step and Riley came behind her and...well, how do you write this, well, Riley smelled Camo's butt. Camo hissed and took a swipe. Can't blame her, so Riley made her way behind Camo and up onto the deck. Punky and Strawyer were near by. Punky was moving toward Riley and Camo stopped that in a flat minute. This afternoon a Buddy look a like came onto the deck which put Riley and Punky in the scary cat position. Just went out to check on Riley. She's doing good, ate her supper and looks sleepy. She let me rub her head again. And it is such a gift.
**************************************
Our area is bracing for a winter storm, probably more cold than snow but with fast dropping temps in the morning it could be more of an ice accumulation thing. Riley was ready early to go outside and now as the dogs bark and the sky turns more steely gray, I hope she comes back to the warmth of her night time dwelling place. Got her fed, treated and played with before she went out the door. Punky came out of the tent. Got her fed and so it is the waiting game. Have to remember that the feral life is a roller coaster and there isn't too much normal about it. I'm always bracing for that moment when Riley stays out all night and she sure doesn't want to make it tonight.

Yesterday, on the way into Weaverville, I caught a glimpse of a barn set below the road a little distance and usually the view is covered by tree leaves. This quick glance revealed maybe what most of this area looked like about fifty years ago or maybe longer. Because I was driving the legal speed limit of the road, the scene vanished before I was ready for it to and well, you know with curves and such one should constantly keep an eye on the road. We are in the midst of the Hebrew Children leaving Egypt, crossing the Red Sea and venturing into the wilderness in Sunday School. I've been keeping track of their grumbling and since it's not too far into the story, the count is at three. So a barn scene and the Hebrew children....what do they have in common? Nostalgia. Can't help but think of Adam Feldman's book Journaling. The three things that rob us of life is nostalgia, entitlement and bitterness. We get so hung up on thinking of the good ol days...back when. Lots of people say that about singing hymns verses modern songs but I'd challenge them to remember, most Sundays we all sang hymns by rote, especially the 1, 2 and last verse. We didn't really consider the weighty and mighty words....it took the newer songs to do that. Work was a lot harder years ago than today. All the time saving devices we have now...it is more of a matter of what we do with our time. We can remember the good times but the fantasized version of the past robs of today's joys. This morning there was a piece on FB about a man who took his grumbling, complaining friend out of the city and drove him to one of his favorite countryside thinking spots. It didn't make a difference to the grumbler whether he was in the city or the country....his complaints continued. So back to the city they went the friend who tried to help his friend a little wiser knowing that so many miss the miracles around them. Oh the things to ponder now and then.

Speaking of roller coaster previously, with the wind picking up and rain drops, Riley came into the garage. We played a little and then she got treats and I came in the house. Contrary to rumors I do not spend all my time with cats....  Anyway, I went back out to check on her and to play a little more. Roy called and I should just gone inside instead of trying to play and to talk because Riley got a little tangled in the fishing line and ran off into the depths of the garage storage. I was concerned that maybe the little fishing fob and the extra straw I had on the end of the pole might be wrapped around her. Gave her a little time, found the fishing fob but no sight of Riley. Went back in the house and worked on laundry, came back out and there she was. Roller coaster...anyway, she'd like to go out but as much as I would like to let her, now that the chances of rain increase in the afternoon....

Meanwhile Buddy is sound asleep on the bed. She should be cause she couldn't settle last night. It was a long night of not much sleep.




No comments: