Monday, January 14, 2019

Weather, Sabbaticals, and Riley

We survived the ice/sleet/freezing rain overnight. Many are without power but we only experienced a little off and on yesterday afternoon, not even enough time to trigger the generator. Church will be at 11:00 with no Sunday School. On Thursday, I had found out I needed to teach this Sunday's lesson, so a lot of Friday and Saturday was taken up with preparation...which is enjoyable. The shortened time makes me a little anxious but just like always, He provided the direction. Next Sunday is my normal Sunday to teach, so it will be good to combine the lessons. This morning also brought about the first big sore throat of the winter season which is a sign unto me to cut back, take it easy and take care over my immune system. So, decided that this would be a sabbatical Sunday. It is better to not let anything start and have to fight so hard to defeat the germs later. 

This year my #oneword came easily. Last year's not so much but this year the word is meaningful. full of meaningsignificance, purpose, or value; purposeful. After choosing the word I noticed that a book and journal I had ordered, more out of curiosity than anything. When they arrived, I just put them on the kitchen table but only noticed last week that the subtitle of the book is, having a meaningful life. There has just been so many things that have needed attending to, reading has taken a backseat. While eating breakfast I was able to peruse a few of the devotions and it looks good. The name of the book is I've Been Thinking by Maria Shriver. 

Over the holidays we got a new iPhone for me. With every update the battery became more of a problem but the phone had served since 2011. Not bad. It is an adjustment getting used to not having a home button. The pictures are better than the old phone. 

Buddy is asleep on the bed. After a couple of days of not eating her food, she has regained her appetite which means she is eating her chill pill enhanced food which helps her sleep. She slept a lot yesterday and even slept up around my neck last night while I watched TV. Good thing not any of the football teams that are playing are any teams that we follow. She would have not had the pleasant sleep she experienced. Went to the garage and played with Riley a bit. She can entertain herself which is good. She has a new way of playing with the ball in the circle, mainly she is upside down. Got her fed and treated and played out a bit. If it gets warmer this afternoon I will see if she wants to go outside. She turned down the opportunity yesterday. 
************************
The afternoon temps have gotten into the 40's. This morning after feeding Riley and giving her a few treats, I decided to see if she wanted to go outdoors and today she took the offer. It worked well because it is garbage day and so with the big door opened Riley came and went for a little bit. Then she took off with a hard right and on the run to play in the backyard. With the trash down to the road, it was off to the post office and then to workout with Taylor. This was the first workout of the year, so he did a little more restorative work on muscles. We will hit it hard next week. After that it was to the bank and grocery store. When I came home, Riley was still intently playing and keeping an ever intense eye out for moles. She wasn't interested in coming in especially with the sun coming out for just a bit. I was able to eat lunch and then take care of some business related things and just happened to look out the back window at the right time. Riley was sitting there looking at birds but yet keeping an eye open for the backdoor to open. So, I was able to oblige her, opened the door and she came running in. With all the excitement it is safe to assume that both Buddy and Riley are in nap mode.

Riley has started to rub my hand when I put it in front of her...if I try to rub her back though, she's not that thrilled. So once again, patience is the word and the practice to wooing this little one over to the warm side. There is a small heater that can be used in the garage, so her little corner is getting roasty toasty. Went out there to check on her and to see if she was wanting to play but she of course, wanted a treat and then it is looking like she will return to her napping, that I so rudely interrupted.  

January 14th, our little dog Tiff was born on this day, as well as Roy's father and my father shared the day with these two. It always signaled, to us, the dreaded holiday season was over and life would return to normal for just over a month until the next celebration rolled around on the calendar. I cannot think of one gift we ever gave my father that he liked. Nothing! We stopped being creative with him a long time ago because it was a total waste. So, we bought shirts and pants probably the last fifteen or so birthdays we celebrated with him. We always bought shirts that Roy liked cause most likely, he would give them back and tell us with his little snear on his face and sarcasm in his voice, he didn't think he could ever like or wear the shirts. Fine with us. Since his death in 2017 I have become more intolerant of behavior that reminds me of him and that intolerance is quickly coming into taking steps away from friendships that feel all too familiar with toxicity. Can't say a kind word? Can't cheer on others when victory over a challenge happens, every remark is some kind of smart a$$ remark under the guise of humor...uh, thanks but no thanks...been there...don't need it. Don't want it. Last year it was taking the steps away from anyone too possessive, anyone who spoke on my behalf when they didn't know what they were talking about, or telling untruths or twisting my words....all on my behalf. Had years of that, now freedom rings and I ain't hanging around to be a possession. There are way too many other fun people to be around and friendships to spend time on. Yep, toxic is an overused term, but as for me and my house, we be keeping the toxic spew on the down low moving along its way.

Roy got new shoes for Sequisha yesterday. He had an appointment for the tires on Friday only thing, they didn't order the tires. So the reschedule was for Wednesday but the tires came in, they were having a slow day, so appointment moved up. They put nitrogen in the tires. Never heard of that but then I don't hang out at tire places too much. 

This afternoon's chill has made this perfect for hot tea. We have several favorites here and even though the holidays are over, the holiday tea flavor with orange, cloves and cinnamon, is just right. Then you add some lemon drops and it is all good. My mom used to do that, add candy lemon drops into the tea, fun to hear it crack as it melted. When we first bought the house someone mentioned we should get some Stanley thermoses to have around on display when workmen came to the house, letting them know yep there is a man who lives here. Now I've been using some of these manly Stanley's for hot tea upstairs. Perfect size and keeps the tea all warm, ready for a pour. 

Just did another check on Riley or maybe it was more a check on the heater. Riley is all tucked in the corner of the last step, a box with a blanket overflowing onto the mat is her choice, she's still not in the box. Still not a fan of anything soft. She of course was willing to move for a few treats and then settled down next to me. I'm sitting on the stairs, she on the aforementioned mat. She seemed content with my presence but then something feral must have kicked in during the comfort, cause she got up quickly and made her way over to the Mustang acting all independent like. After the demonstration, she returned to sit by me.

After the sabbatical Sunday morning, it seemed the right thing to do, have a sabbatical Sunday evening. So, didn't go to choir but did get to have a conversation catching up with Dena. Great fun and lots of laughs. Also watched a little football and happy that the Saints will be marching in next week since they experienced a victory.

No comments: