Thursday, January 17, 2019

Cats, Snow, Taste And See and Thumbs...All Happening On A Thursday

Today just might be the day that Riley won't come back into the garage. With the temps turning cooler and rain or snow in the afternoon forecast, she is defying the conditions to stay around Punky. Earlier I called out to Riley and she came near to the door, meowing and turning her head in the direction of Punky, who sat on the deck stairs. Riley went back to her, touched noses and tried to get her to follow, but Punky isn't too sure about me or probably about her newfound alliance with her cousin. Camo comes and goes, but it has seemed to this non cat that she is trying to ditch Punky and has probably ditched Strawyer somewhere. He has not been around the past day or two. Riley helped Cali with her litter of kittens and watched over them more than Cali seemed to at times. One afternoon, it was just Riley and the little black and white kitten that goes by the name Tux now and Riley played and tried to corral that kitten to keep him on the deck. He rolled off onto the ground and Riley continued herding and playing, with great concern and every once in a while looked on the deck to see if Cali was going to reinforce her efforts of rescue...nope. So now that this cousin alliance has been formed, I may have lost out. After the Buddy attack, I don't blame Riley for being so cautious around the garage last night and this morning. I'll keep an eye on the backyard especially since Mama Cat has shown up. Both Riley and Punky are interested in her but she hisses and take a swipe at them if they get too close. While this drama plays out in the backyard, Nancy and Naia went down the gravel road on the four wheeler. Punky was on the top of the fence, about the third generation of fence sitters here, and Naia tried to get Punky. She gave up the pursuit quickly this time. Riley was hiding and only came out when the coast was clear. The temps this weekend are supposed to be the coldest of the season, so hopefully Riley will come in during that weather event. Part of me has mixed emotions...the process is so slow with ferals and just when I thought a corner of resistance had been turned, the whole Buddy incident happened and set us back. There is good to come out of this, Buddy has a new will to stay awake and be active. I've had mixed emotions and thoughts about Riley in that, I haven't been looking for a new cat, especially a new indoor cat but if God brings them to you, you accept the responsibility. For sure, I love that cat named Riley. She has come so far and maybe this time out by being sheltered and fed in a garage, with toys and treats, will be a big part of who she becomes. So far, she is not like her mom and doesn't seem to traverse the countryside like Cali but she is wild in the trees and on the gravel road. She is well acquainted with all the pathways of to and through, from front to back of the yard and house. With the skies turning that steel gray of a winter storm, maybe she'll decide to come in but in a funny way, I'll be proud of her if she stays with Punky to help her weather the storm. 

It is beginning to snow, so I went downstairs but first looked out the window onto the backyard in our bedroom. From there the view was Camo slinking around and Riley coming down from being under the fir tree. I went to the backdoor and called out for Riley and clapped. She came to the door and meowed her heart out, like help me get that little one in. Only just like a bad dream, Camo comes and takes Punky with her up the incline by the fence. Once Riley sees that, she turned and came into the garage. We played a little and she was rewarded with treats. Now, she'll probably take a well deserved nap. All of this went on under Warden Buddy's presence on the bench by the window. Only, sleep finally overtook her and she naps away.

With many things filling my days I have been remiss in writing a blog post about the book Taste and See by Margaret Feinberg. It is always a welcomed email when Margaret releases a book and I get chosen to be on the launch team. It seems like it has been 3-4 times and each time her book has been the right reading for the right time. Taste and See is no different. Sadly, it is not making me want to bake or cook but the comparisons with ancient biblical times with food and modern times is outstanding, just like her book Scouting the Divine. Just these little tidbits about nets, fish, figs and bread...that is how far I've gotten in reading. It is a tug of war because the book is so good I want to read it quickly yet the book is so good, I want to savor and take in each word, each sentence.

One year the skin on my face, right underneath my eyes dried out something terribly. There was a whole lot of flaking going on. I found that Chanel hydro serum worked for a while, then I found another and better product. The next winter the skin on my feet was dry and rough, Detox Gel to the rescue and my feet have never been the same. This winter the skin around my thumb nails has started to split and hurt. It almost makes using my thumbs impossible because of the pain. I have a great product for that but keeping it on my thumb to work...it is nearly impossible. So I Googled thumb thingies, you know those rubber thimble like things that were used a long time ago to sort papers or money, to keep from getting a paper cut. Well, thanks to Amazon I know know the professional term for thumb thingy is thimblettes and they come in sizes. Seriously, I am considering an order so I can put the lotion on my cut and then put the thimblettes on each thumb.

Okay, I ordered them! Here is to healing thumbs!


No comments: