Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Polar Vortex, Encouragement, The 70's and Cats for $500 Alec

Twenty four hours ago snow flakes gently fell to the earth covering fields and yards, barns and houses. This morning the skies are clear and the sun is shinning but that is a deceptive notion that all is back to normal...it is freezing cold outside. Explain that to cats that want to be outside, Buddy on the porch and Riley in the great outdoors. Buddy has resigned herself to the front bedroom taking in all the goodness of sun rays. It was a joyous feeling when the kiddos showed up at the backdoor. I wondered how and if they would make it. I think they use the tent of napping much more than any other cat before or now. That open sleeping bag inside makes a huge difference for warmth.

Yesterday afternoon held a pleasant surprise in a phone call from my friend Carole in Houston. She is seven weeks out from bilateral knee replacements and doing so well. We got caught up on life and her upcoming trips with an eye on her returning to the mountains sometime in the spring. Look out mountains, we'll be cruising but at a safe speed as not to draw attention from any of the fine officers of the law but we will be getting around. Carole truly is one of the most encouraging people I know. Her words will stir your heart and cause a holy fire to start up. Or be rekindled, in the case of letting the once blazing fire within you, that has become embers that are holding on for starting up once again.

After seeing several friends post the article from the opinion page of the NY Times, I took the time to read it this morning; The Joy of Being A Woman In Her Seventies. Although I have several years before hitting the 70's, I am feeling the joy of being in my 60's. The only birthdays I ever dreaded, turning 20, turning 24 because I had this notion I would die when I was that age, and when I turned 50. At least when I turned 50 I made the last day of being 49 the most fun way to spend that day and go into being fifty the best possible I could be. That day Lisa, Dena, Peggy and I spent the morning into the afternoon at the Nord Spa to experience Spa Sanctuary. So we were herbal wrapped, massaged, facialed and manicured or pedicured. In between all these treatments, we had lunch in the relaxation room. After all that, being so relaxed and barely able to walk, we went downstairs had our makeup done and then went to Lupe's Tortilla. Now that was the way to go into the 50's. The article speaks to the obvious of letting things go, accepting new challenges, embracing change and gratitude. I can think of several friends who are in their 70's and approach life with wonder and a freshness. That is better than being a grumbler or constantly being critical. In an email with Roy the other day I made a comment but he thought it was a complaint....no just an observation. Of course, email doesn't have a tone or voice inflection. All those years in my mid to late 50's, sitting in a waiting room at cardiologist offices and more times than not being the youngest patient, I concluded not to be like so many that are used to being the sickest or getting the most attention in their family so they want that to translate to the waiting room. Then when you are in a room with others that are just as ill or even worse than you...who gets to complain the most? It is a good lesson to have learned. One time at church, when I was much younger, an even younger woman said to me about an older lady she had just participated in a wonderful conversation with; she said I wish all older women were as much fun to spend time and converse with as her, most are just sad and cranky. My tennis friend Beth C always seemed to have great insight and wisdom into so many other things rather than just tennis. We talked of getting older in the tennis world, we were in our early 40's...she said when all I can do is lob to play tennis, I think I'll spend more time on the golf course and as I get older, less is more when it comes to makeup. She was right on both counts. Beth also had unusual insights into home decor and colors but that is for another day or blog post.

Okay and speaking of decor, once again I was playing around on realtor.com, looking at pics of homes in TN and the high country of NC. This is not a new observation nor is it unique but some of the pictures posted to sell a house are so odd. Some get more into showing pics of their furniture than the room. One home showed a great picture of an upstairs bedroom and how spacious it was...spacious enough for two queen beds fit and look like rooms that have twin beds, but the beds were unmade. What? Same house, for the kitchen...dirty dishes in the sink, uneaten food on the table...maybe they really don't want to sell their house. Also suspect, only pics of the outside, few if any inside pics...oh and a home that sells about every two years...there has to be a reason.

My entertainment while eating a tuna salad sandwich for lunch was Riley and the kiddos. Riley finally has Punky and Strawyer playing and the deck is their playpen. Running and attacking, playing...that is so Riley's love language. It is so fun to watch their antics but of course by 4:00 they could all hate one another. It helps that Camo has not been around because her presence deters any bonding of the cousins. Right before lunch I experienced a miracle with Buddy. She let me trim her front nails. I had let them get too long. It is so stressful for both Buddy and me to take her to the vet and as long as she is walking normally and doing a few jumps here and there, the steroid shot is procrastinated. She seems to be in very little pain and we can thank the chill pills for that.  It seems that Buddy knew the trim would help her out. Whew! She wasn't too keen on the back nails being trimmed but that's because they are not bothering her, yet.

This Sunday we are singing Chain Breaker...I made a suggestion that at the end of the song we could go right into Arthea Franklin's, Chain of Fools. or Working on a Chain Gang or if we really wanted to be subtle in our chain reference, Unchained Melody. My suggestions were of course not taken but you know, sometimes when the thought comes, you have to say it.


No comments: