Thursday, July 3, 2008

For the Beauty




Fresh in my mind is a conversation Lisa P and I had on Sunday. We talked about so much cause we had a whole bunch to get caught up on but as we talked about the beauty of Alaska she said, we need to find beauty here in Houston, right where we live. I remember thinking that on my last return from Jackson Hole and for a while I searched it out and tried to be focused on beauty here in flat, hot Houston. This morning I pulled into the North parking lot and got one of the last shaded spots. On the lawn next to my car is this long legged bird. It was beautiful and I thanked God for sending the bird my way. I took about 10 minutes trying to get a picture with my camera on my phone. I could not get in close enough, but you can see it there in the pictures. My heart overflows with a good theme as I address my praises to the King.

There is always beauty in leaving early for a holiday weekend. I came in this morning and took care of few items that needed attention. Then I was out the door only to run errands, go to the Kroger and come home to do laundry. It is the best! Roy came home early and we went out to eat. He has gone over to the CLC to walk which I should do, but sometimes as much as I love my church I feel like I am going back to work. So I opted for freedom at home. Once he hits the door the TV will be on Fox News or something like that. I have the TV off as is my usual choice. I have enough background noise in my life not to add more.

Met a friend for dinner last night. Lively conversation! That brings me much joy. Loved the Pastor's sermon on Sunday. It was on friendship and it was very good. How appropriate to be sitting next to Peggy. That doesn't happen often on Sundays because she is in choir but she didn't make it that morning. Let me encourage y'all tonight with this, always make and take the time for friendships. Especially when you are young or as young couples. Doing life together through all the seasons is most joyous and rewarding. God has blessed us with such wonderful friends. I can't imagine ever doing life without Beth Rees, Peggy, Dena and Lisa. What a difference they have made in me.

I haven't mentioned Buddy in awhile. Buddy was a little cool to me upon my return from Alaska. Well, for all of about 3 minutes. She has been my gray shadow even more so than usual. Last night Buddy went to bed at the same time Roy and I did. It would be wonderful for Buddy to always do that. She sleeps at the end of the bed on the comforter. At some point in the middle of the night she comes over to me and if I am not facing inward to the bed, she meows until I turn over and stick out my arm. She gets close to my face for me to rub her head. If I don't do it enough, she takes her paw and only using the pad of it, pats my face until I rub her head again. Then she settles in on my arm and goes to sleep. My arm goes to sleep as well. Only now I am building up resistance and can sleep longer this way. So, that is the news with Buddy.

Happy Independence Day! Have a safe and wonderful 4th!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay i'm with you on principle here BUT TRUTHFULLY the houston backdrop of freeways is just not what God had designed for Adam and Eve...(not that he was caught unaware)..but you got me thinking of the "FRAME" that Beth talked about in Breaking Free....that white long-legged bird "framed in God" is like your Sitka bear....We can see God's creations where ever they are in God's Frame when we know the Lord....i can see God's beauty and the ugly ccement and highway is just not in the picture...does that make sense? and vice versa-people can look at the Sitka bear in all its glory and not see it if they aren't seeing God's frame...and they may even miss your white long-legged bird!

Lauren said...

Ha! Based on the title of this post and the pictures, I thought you were going to say that the beauty was that the construction was completed or something. Is it? Will it ever be?