Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday Stuff on July 5th

I just finished a delicious breakfast of scones and Kerrygold Irish Butter. What a nice way to start a Saturday. July 5, three years ago today I surgery. My how time flies. None of this is related and so may go the direction of this post.

On Thursday morning we were treated to the FBA Primary kids (preschoolers) 4th of July parade. It is colorful, noisy and fun. We stood by the office suite door waving and greeting the kids who were adorned with anything and everything red, white and blue. The parades at holidays by the preschoolers is one of my favorite perks of working at a church.

This week we had to upgrade our Internet connection at home. It had all the makings of frustrations, but it went rather well. At that time we were offered a $70.00 credit to continue using our data card for the next two years. Roy balked at the offer thinking we will do a wireless so we can both be on computers at the same time. He said, your plans were to take your laptop away from home to do your writing and you've never even done that. For one, every time I say I am going to do that, he gets the hebbie jebbies about me and a laptop away from home. Secondly, I HATE the laptop case he bought. It is too boyish. So, Levenger's is having a summer sale and I bought a girly laptop case. So now I am ready to get away and do some writing other than from home. His mention of me not writing anywhere but at home struck a nerve with me and I am going to do this, get out and about with laptop in hand.

Peggy invited us out to celebrate the holiday. We didn't make it. Roy was late getting home and I was ensconced with a book, "The Red Leather Diary, Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal." I finished it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Basically it reads like fiction, but it isn't. A New York Times reporter sees a dumpster full of trunks that have been thrown away as the result of a cleaning sweep of the building's storage area. The steamer trunks are mainly from the 1920's and 30's. The reporter gets in the dumpster and then calls for a photographer to come, so she can do a story for the Times. She finds many treasures, one in particular a red leather diary of Florence Wolfson. Florence wrote every day from her 14th to her 19th birthday about the state of her appearance, and soul, and 1930's New York. The reporter eventually finds Florence, who is 90 years old and thus the end result is the book. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time and frankly there were things in the book that shocked me. We tend to think of back in the day as more innocent and naive times.

I had a massage yesterday morning. How good it was to be back at The Nord Spa. Only Stacy let me know she will be leaving The Nord in August. She will still be working but now in the Town and Country area. Well, I will just follow her there. She is awesome. I have booked several more appointments while she is still at The Nord. I did find out something funny yesterday as she was working on my knees. She told me that since my injections my knees feel like the implanted and enhanced butt checks of another client. Well, the substance injected makes my knees feel like the other. I was in shock that someone had implants put in their rear end. I would gladly donate all my extra "baby got back" to those who feel like they have been cheated somehow.

On a side note, anonymous...I am sorry about your loss and will be praying for you. Your comments the past few months have been so thought provoking and encouraging. I have especially liked your framing comments. I look forward to the day when you reveal your true identity.

Lisa texted me about the Nordstrom Anniversary catalogue. I have not received mine yet.... I hope it comes today. Ali, Google Nordstrom on images. You'll get a looksee at The Nord. The picture I use on my blog is of a Nordstrom shoe dept. I also hope my DR or his nurse have approved my refill on my anti-inflammatory. In reality, it will probably be Monday.

Have a good Saturday. Enjoy the time.

6 comments:

Ali said...

Ah KerryGold ... thats MY butter! Imagine you getting KerryGold all the way over there.

That will please my neighbours, who moved to live in Austin, Texas for a year on Thursday morning. A little taste of home :-)

Mind you, to get the real flavour of it, you need to have it on hot tattie bread or soda farls .. yum!

Nancy Mon said...

Ali, please inform this backwood Texan what tattie bread or soda farls might be. Then I will try to find the something here that might be a good substitute.

Anonymous said...

thanks Nancy, i'm totally with you on the ButtCheekImplant??? It is one of the last places i would need help..i would have that same puzzled incredulous look on my face ...a WHAT???? Thanks for prayers and comments..i'll be away for awhile and will have to catch up (read all your blogs) when i get back as I don't have a laptop...even with a toomannish case...I'll be picturing you writing up a storm at all your favorite spots..except the play grocery...but then again maybe there too!!! thank you...

jené said...

Amen to the tattie bread and farl, I don't bother to make them often and love them dearly. Nancy, the farl is a soda griddle cake, I like tatties (potato) every which way . Blame it on my heritage. Whenever I do a mash I always make sure to plan for leftovers the next day to bake with.

Can't wait to hear where you and the laptop have been writing. Maybe we should start a Where's Nancy Game and see who can spot you out and about around town. You could outdo Waldo!

Ali said...

Nancy, these are recipes for the two breads:

Potato bread (tattie bread)
1lb cooked, mashed potatoes
20z butter
3oz flour
pinch salt

Add the salt, melted butter and flour to the mashed potatoes. Knead on a floured board and roll and cut to thickness about 1cm. Cut into triangles and cook on a hot, greased gribble or frying pan for 4-5 min each side

Soda Bread (soda farls)
1lb plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 pint buttermilk

Sieve the dry ingrediaents into a bowl, add enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. knead lightly and form into a round the thickness of your fist. Place on a baking tray and bake at 200oC/400oF/gas6 for 30-45 min

Alternatively, we are investigating a website that delivers Northern Ireland produce to the States to see if we can send you some samples

Lauren said...

I am with you on the KerryGold. It is good stuff. I was butter-enlightened one day at Whole Foods when they were sampling it. Now I get it for special occasions or when I feel like splurging on the good stuff. Why is it so good? Why, I ask you? Does it have extra salt? Do Irish cows dine on finer grass? It probably has extra fat (which is really saying something when you consider that butter is 100% fat, right?).

I did not mean to write so much about butter.

Um, butt cheek implants? I mean, you gotta be a real non-butt to want butt cheek implants. (That's my mom's term for people who lack "back" as you put it.)