Friday, July 25, 2008

Object de Arte at HFBC

Seriously, we have some of the strangest pictures and object de art at HFBC. In light of our Worship Center being renovated and the ensuing changes that will be taking place across the building, I feel it is my duty and obligation to show you some of our strange artistic wonders before they see the dark of a storage room.



The above is a picture you see as you get off the second floor elevator by the Worship/Music suite. I use this picture as a navigational device. I always know by this picture what floor I'm on when the elevator door opens or sometimes in my case does not open. Isn't this scenic and pastoral as a grandfather or maybe even a father if he has a trophy wife, reading to the children. Or it could be Moses come back for a quick story and eyewitness account of the Exodus. Anyway, all seems well here.


We have been members of HFBC since 1982 and I have seen this picture a hundred times, but it wasn't until recently as I waited a long time for an elevator (somebody stuck and frantically pushing the open door button) that I noticed something unusual. The tall girl's hand.
She ain't really got no thumb. How does she use a mug or pour hot water without a thumb? She has five fingers. She is either an alien, as in space, or she is flashing gang. Or she could be the trophy wife telling hubs that five children is the limit.
Here she is again in closer focus for your contemplation. If you have any idea why she is all fingers as opposed to all thumbs, I would like to know.



Now on to one of our statues and maybe the only statue at HFBC. You don't see too many statues whether they be the saints of old or a benevolent benefactor in a Baptist church. Oh maybe one day there could one of Billy Graham or if a nostalgic feel happens, Pat Neff. I have no idea who Pat Neff is, but he is a statue and a dorm at Baylor.
The statue below is in the Kate Bell Prayer Garden right outside of the CLC. The garden is located near the highest concentration of children, athletes and weekend warriors. I believe this is why the statue has had a lot of problems keeping her hand connected to the wrist bone.

Maybe white duct tape exists to strap on that pesky hand. It was the Apostle Paul who said I wish that men everywhere would lift holy hands and I assume this means women too. But she is being bibilically incorrect in that she is only lifting one holy hand by the hair of her chinny chin chin and Elmer's Glue All.





Guess she can't lift her other hand cause she has a tambourine that the goat or lamb is eating. Maybe this is Mary, no not mother of Jesus, no not other Mary, but Mary who had a little lamb. Who knows? Notice the FEBO. Is that the name of the lamb or the artist? I don't know, but I do know that everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go.

Next up on our tour of art at HFBC, Prom Hair Jesus and Jesus with really big hands. Join us won't you?

7 comments:

annette said...

You know, you really have made some good observations--far more than I in a short two hour visit each Sunday. I do think the no thumb girl might really be a six-digit hand with her thumb tucked under as in a magic trick. Maybe we need a bigger art budget? Love, A

The Powell Family said...

So hilarious! I am feeling you on this one, nanc. I used to always tell Matt all the strange things I noticed around there...I knew exactly where that stautue was when I saw the pic. I would apprieciate you including the HUGE Jesus painting(I think it was Jesus...) on the second floor, south side of the sanctuary...hope it's not gone yet. I remember it was right outside someone's office door, and thought what a sight everytime they left. Maybe Larry Lilley's office...
lori

Amanda said...

Girl you are cracking me up. Can't wait for the next one. I may write an ode to the old Oasis fountain.

Lauren said...

This elicited so many giggles from me.

Etta said...

Oh Nancy I'm in a permanent wrinkle from laughing at this artwork - the freaky kid with the dodgy digit is a boy I think (the girl has her hair covered...) and the limp wristed doll - tell me you don't seriously have this stuff in a CHURCH?!! I'm far to Irish Presbyterian still at heart. Oh lol.

FitzandMolly said...

Our good friend FEBO! Can I tell you how much we cringed when they put that thing outside our offices? We hate that statue! I know the story behind it - that it was in Ms. Bell's garden, etc., but can we come up with something nicer with which to honor such an honorable woman?? It's awful. On a related note, someone that we all know would refer to it as the "Smoking Garden."

Dana said...

Oh how our art scares me. The funny thing is, MN in graphics had the artist as his teacher.

Looking forward to what you have to say about "Prom Hair Jesus" "Paddle Hand Jesus" and "Jesus sits with a Demon".

*Shudders*