Sunday, December 21, 2008

Goofy Times with Gerti


Today after church our Sunday School class, oops, I mean our Adult Sunday Bible Study class, went to Cafe Adobe for our Christmas lunch. This year Bill and Peggy were able to attend. While we were waiting for everyone to show up, Peggy gave me part of my Christmas from her. You are looking at the book she made for me. This Christmas gift is a home run, no a grand slam. I absolutley love it! Enclosed are a myriad of pictures from parties, Easter, Christmas, July 4th and miscellaneous just being friends type days. As you can see from the binding end of the book it includes other assorted friends. Like I said about journals, pens, books, etc...this is the way to my heart. Not many would know but Peggy and I are very sentimental people. I keep letters, ticket stubs, notes, cards, and all types of mementos from events of significant and insignificant days. My cousin Becky sent me a snail mail card and letter for my birthday this year. She knows me all too well and my love of cards and notes. It meant so much for her to do that. If y'all knew her schedule, you would be impressed that she was able to take the time to stop and write a letter.
This year my journal is a travel diary. I wrote in it as if I were on a trip and in reality we are on a journey. Psalm 84 is a key scripture for me this year. It has been one very different type of year. Not one I had envisioned. I mean really, I feel like I have taken a journey to old people land with the amount of pills I take and the amount of information I can't remember. Several of us were talking this morning about how in a regular routine of getting ready we don't remember if we have already conditioned our hair or if we have already put on deodorant. I am still on the journey in heart land and I pray that I am doing everything my Dr has asked of me so that after my next appointment on Tuesday I will have a better well being and understanding of "heartland" security. I journeyed with Roy on his adventure in unknown or unspecific health and blood issues.
This year has been an Emmanuel year, God with us. I love that the hair salon I go to is named Emmanuel. It is owned by God believing and loving Christians. This week Stevie and I were so blessed to talk about Converge and what Word we got from the Lord from it both in worship and hearing the Word taught. It is also nice to know I go to a salon, Emmanuel, God with us, knowing He is there and the chance of getting a bad haircut is significantly diminished. And when I get the bill for haircut, blow dry and highlights, I pray Emmauel with my bank account. Or would that be God help us...no God with us. But I digress, God with us. Every step of the way, even in the dark places of not knowing what in the heck is going on, God with us.
So you are asking me now, Nancy, what in the Sam Hill does God with us have to do with Goofy Times with Gerti. It is just this, the importance of letting our loved ones know, in the good and in the bad, and in the uncertain of life, God is with us, and He many times uses our relationships to let us know He is there. Don't let tasks and duties inhibit your "with" time. A note or card is a good choice to express concern, prayers and love. This year, I pulled out a box of cards that have come during these uncertain times. God used that time and the words and Word of the notes to encourage me. I knew "with". I loved what Pastor Gregg said this morning about the importance of "with".
I love my goofy times with Gerti. They are some of the best times of my life. I love this book. Peggy gives me a hard time about my love of books. When Jackie Kennedy died, her son John made a statement to the media, "she died surrounded by her family, friends and her books. She was surrounded by that which she loved." Peggy said who would want to die being surrounded by their books? I meekly replied, "me". Peggy, when that times comes and I die, this book will be right by my side.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is an awesome, priceless gift! You need to bring it to our next bunco. BTW, the LPM girls are having a bunco Christmas party tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet endearing gift. Those kind of gifts are immeasurably precious. You share a special friendship. And indeed it was an Emmanuel year! Thanks be to God. Merry Christmas, Nancy! Love, Annette