Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Christmas Miracle- the Details

The weeks following hurricane Ike and the last minute and harrowing adventure of the cardiologists office, Roy told me the verse he was praying for me

'My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever'
Psalm 73:26

I too had found that verse and believed and prayed it. I also added verse 28, 'but for me, it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.'


Let me tell you of all His works!

Yesterday was my 2 month check up with the cardiologist. It was an examination and a echo cardiogram. I didn't think there would be bad news, probably cautionary good news. I sat in the ninth floor small examination room watching all the shoppers at Memorial City Mall when the Dr came in. He asked me a few questions, listened to my heart a lot and then took me to the test room. He told me to put on one of the paper fashion gowns and Chris would be in. OK, I panicked with the paper gown. I never get it on right and I rip it up. Chris comes in and says, you don't have that on right, it's all twisted...turn to the corner while I get another gown for you and when I leave put it on. Embarrassed! Once my wardrobe malfunction was corrected, I hopped up on the table, OK I don't hop up anywhere, I crawled onto the table to begin all the tests. The last time I had seen Chris was under different circumstances. So, he began the conversation with the aftermath of Ike. Then he said, the first thing I asked when we all returned to the office is, had anyone heard if you had made it through the storm. As he moved that wand thing all around my heart, he didn't say much. Just some hmmms... oh.... hmmmms... When he finished he told me to go to room 2 and wait.


Room 2, I am across the hall from the Dr and Chris. They both shout an OMG and Dr Morris yells, Nancy, you are a Christmas miracle. Come and look at your heart. Your heart is normal...look at it, it looks brand new. Nothing wrong at all!!! I start crying. He continues, "do you know I never thought I would be telling you, your heart is normal. We didn't think you were going to live much less have a normal heart." The only thing medically he can explain that kept me alive at first and my heart beating, is the heart arrhythmia I still have. They showed me my heart on Sept 11. He took his hand and moved it slightly to show me that is how little my heart was beating. Then they showed my my heart from the test, you could actually see it all, moving and the valves opening and closing. He begins to tell me the details and fears they had, but at every appointment I showed up so joyful and hopeful, they decided to follow that direction with me too. He was always serious and told me the facts, well the facts he wanted me to know, but he always ended the visit giving me hope. I had placed my hope and faith in God, but the encouraging words of the Dr were faith building.

Right there in that Dr office I began to cry. Chris was tearing up. I cried and thanked God. Then I started laughing for joy and then crying for joy. Glory to God! His mercies are new every morning! My soul magnifies the Lord and rejoices in God my Savior. I looked at the Dr and Chris and said Joy to the World! The Lord has come.

I will tell you the truth, there were times during the past few months I was fearful and frightened. I didn't feel as good as people were telling me I looked. There would be times of pain. It felt like I was in a constant storm. Almost every morning while getting ready for work, there would be some kind of heart episode that slowed me down. But I knew the Lord was with me and the strength of my heart Psalm 73. At Jason's Ministries Staff Christmas party, Pastor Gregg said something to the group and he talked about a scripture in I John. I felt it was from the Lord just for me. I John 3:19, God is greater than our heart and He knows everything.


Back to yesterday, the Dr kept saying, you have been given a second chance. You must have some purpose that you are to do. I shared with him how Roy, friends and family had been praying earnestly for me but especially for me and my heart. Then he said, well God has something for you to accomplish. He talked to me in his office and gave me his thoughts on what I need to consider going forward. He gave me things to ponder and reflect upon. I am still on my heart pills for a while, still watching stress levels and then he released me. Told me to make a 3 month appointment before leaving. I asked about exercising more than juest walking, he said you can exercise, go sky diving, mountain climbing...then he says, no mountain climbing, that wouldn't be wise. Dang, I was going to set out to do that today... :)

A wonderful side benefit has been losing almost 65 pounds. I have more to go for sure, but almost 65 pounds since September is good.


Thank you! I cannot tell you what your words of encouragement have meant. I could feel the prayers of friends and family surrounding me. My friends are the best walking through this with me, reminding me to take it easy and making me laugh. Roy, wow, he walked through such a difficult season with me. He had so much going on at the office and then came home and took care of me and things around our home that I could not do. He never complained or made me feel guilty. He walked in love and blessed me beyond words.


I know there are more things I can share, but I am paralyzied by God's goodness. I sat here yesterday afternoon just thinking and remembering. This morning I feel the same way, in awe of God. I have fallen to my knees and flat on my face in gratitude to Him. Stunned yet rejoicing that God would be so involved with me and love me and give me this wonderful Christmas gift.


Happy Birthday Jesus! You gave, "And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.' Exekiel 36:26


Now here is something exciting too. Our computer didn't work yesterday. Roy worked on it for a long time, nothing. This morning after writing my quick update from the phone, I prayed and asked God to heal the computer... He did!!!! I am writing on it right now. Praise Him, He heals hearts and fixes computers!

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I am just in awe of God. He is so mighty! And compassionate! I'm so happy for you and Roy, Nancy. Have a merry Christmas!

Ali said...

amazing Nancy :-)

Anonymous said...

I believe that, Nancy. You are here for a purpose and a mighty one. Once again, saved by Grace. Giving Him the praise with you. Annette

Anonymous said...

That's one of the best Christmas presents ever! God is an awesome God!

LMS

FitzandMolly said...

I am speechless. What an incredible God we serve.

Jenny B said...

Wow! It gives me chills just thinking about how awesome our God is!! "Nothing is impossible for God." Luke 1:37 God definitely has plans for you my friend!

Merry Christmas Nancy

Becky Kiser said...

Praise God! Nancy that is AMAZING! I will be be praying for God to lead you as you discover what it is He must have planned for your life. I love you!

the p's said...

hey nancy! i am so glad i looked at your blog today! that is incredible. praising Him with you. :)

love, jaclyn

Mauimom1 said...

Nancy-Praise the Lord!!! That is amazing and awesome news! I can hardly wait to see what He has in store for you. I am so happy for you and Roy! Happy New Year!love, missy from OKC

Lauren said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Praise God! That is amazing, Nancy. I am so glad you shared it on the blog.

JAK said...

Praise God!!!!!!!!!! You are an absolute miracle...a gift from the Lord! Love you!