Monday, December 15, 2008

A Monday Look Back at the Weekend

Vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What???? VACATION!!!!!!!! Oh yea, it's the most wonderful time of the year...

It is another cold day in Houston and I'm loving that. I have several scented candles lit and wassail on the stove. It may not look like Christmas in our home, but the fragrance says otherwise.

To catch you up... On Friday I took the morning to stay in and relax. Friday afternoon I headed over to Cafe Express for a bowl of their chicken soup. That is one thing I have been craving through the holidays. Then I headed out to The Woodlands. Even when I played tennis, I never quite knew where anything is there. But, I did some hit and miss and finally landed where I wanted to be, Market Street. Scored a very good parking place and began doing some Christmas shopping. I had decided to head out early to miss all the heavy traffic around 5:30 in Houston. Dena's plane came in around that time and I was picking her up. Once I finished my shopping, I headed over to the airport and parked. I had a couple of minutes of reading when Dena called and they had just touched down. Once we got her luggage, we headed off for some Mexican food. You know when you have been gone two weeks to Singapore and Australia, you are wanting some Tex Mex in the worst way. She looked pretty good considering she had been up for about 24 hours straight. I don't think my hair, skin and clothes travel as well as hers.

Saturday night was one of the few times this year I have had to be Mrs. Monarch. We went to Roy's office Christmas party. This year instead of it being at Capital Grill (dang I was looking forward to that), the party was held at an executive's home in Fairfield. There was a lot of traffic for a Saturday night on 290. It was almost like a week night in rush hour. I met someone at Roy's office who knows just about all the same tennis people that I know. So the couple got me caught up on all the lives and times of tennis friends. It has been six years since I have played any serious tennis and you know, sadly it is all about the same stuff that was the talk of the tennis clubs when I was heavily involved with the politics and games. Roy asked me on the way home if I missed tennis. No! That was a great season in my life but that season is behind me.

At Converge Thursday night, Beth said, look for Him during the holidays. God doesn't just show up, He has been giving hints along if we just pay attention. Whenever there is a huge tennis reference made in my life, I pay attention. God is working in my situation and I got a Word from that tennis conversation that let me know God's presence is all over something He and I have been talking about.

Being Mrs. Monarch wore me out. I slept well and got up earlier than usual for a Sunday to get to church for a reception for Linda Wadsworth, who is retiring after working over 24 years at the church. I wanted to make sure my part was taken care of and assist our volunteers. The volunteers had it all under control. After church, Roy and I ate lunch and ran a few errands. When we got home, I took a nap. I laid down about 2:15 and didn't wake up until 5:00. And, I had no problem going to sleep Sunday night. Saturday night really took a lot out of me.


My plans for tomorrow are to finish up Christmas shopping. I am hitting the Galleria early.

That is the weekend. Tonight, the air is laced with the fragrance of freedom that only saved up vacation days can bring.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh girl, now I'm craving some wassail! Do you buy a mix or make it yourself?

Nancy Mon said...

I bought a mix from the bookstore at church. I used light apple juice and cranberry juice. It is good. I think I will add some more cloves and cinnamon sticks to it when we have it tonight.

Lora said...

Nancy,
I'm Lora and I just read your post at connercolesmom's blog that you had gone to the Siesta Fiesta - me too! So nice to meet you! I'm sorry that your computer crashed!

When I clicked on your blog, I loved reading the EBB quote you have - that is awesome!

I am a kindred spirit with the close parking spaces! Nice to meet you!
Lora