Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Blame Curtis Jones


I am blaming Curtis Jones for the following story. Curtis preached at HFBC on Sunday and his teaching was awesome. Roy and I were scribbling notes so fast trying to get everything down. We even watched the 6:30 pm web cast to hear his sermon again. So today after downloading and putting his sermon on my iPod, I went to the gym. I am doing intervals on the recumbent bike. The time of his sermon worked perfectly with the long warm up I do before starting the intervals. So, I listened to him again and again wished for a pen and paper to write a few newly heard nuggets down. My heart was so prepared by the Word he brought, so that when I began my play list and these great worship songs gave me a good pace for intervals, they also spoke so deeply to my inner being. I had my hands raised and mouthing the words. My eyes were closed. I felt as if someone was watching. I glanced up in the mirror because I really wasn't cognizant that I had my hands raised. Oh my, they were and my hands were lifted not just in the little tiny praise hand way. Arms all the way up. I looked to the mirror to see if anyone was working out behind me...yep...and they were starring. Some were laughing and calling to friends to see the strange older lady on the bike. I was so embarrassed! But if you know me well, I got over it. I thought about taking off my old school bandanna and waving it around like those filled with the Holy Ghost do with white hankies. I would only be flicking others with my sweat. I do not see how anyone can work out hard and not have something to catch the sweat rolling into their eyes.



When I finished my ride and I walked past those who had seen me as they worked on the treadmills and elliptical trainers, I casually said, I have never been able to ride a bike without any hands and today I was brave enough to try. Maybe my faux paux will open some doors to talk, who knows. But I do know this, if Curtis hadn't preached so good, I wouldn't have been lifting my hands at the club.



Thanks Curtis, it was a fun wild ride today!

7 comments:

Laura SanchezQuan said...

That's AWESOME!

I really hope you said that to the people as you walked past them.

LOVE IT!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Still laughing...I have never heard Curtis preach..Maybe I need to download some of his sermons....

Thanks for stopping by...

I just know if we lived close we would laugh together.

Teresa

Ali said...

Oh Nancy, this is just too funny.

You know the story of the wee boy who rode past his mum on his bike with his hands in the air crying 'look mum, no hands'. Then he came past next time with his feet off the pedals saying 'look mum, no feet!' When he came past the third time he opened his mouth and shouted 'look mum - no teeth!!!'

Don't get too carried away ;-)

Amanda said...

Hello, Curtis! That's what I said when I opened your page. I'm glad he could give the people in the gym something to talk about!

Anonymous said...

ha! I actually watched this after you mentioned the desperate note taking on sunday....i'm glad i was sitting in my chair....Curtis sure brought the joy, praise and thanks out of you today!!!!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. when your blog came up with Curtis' picture,i thought i had mistakenly clicked on "thatotherblog"

Lauren said...

Ha! That is so funny!