Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nothing Like a Day With Bluebonnets On It

We could not resist another trip to see the bluebonnets yesterday. The temps were cool and the wind wasn't too bad, but it was too cool to pop the top on Mustang Sally. Never the less, we had an awesome Saturday. Our original plan was to leave Houston around 9:30 but a too late Friday night changed those plans around 8:00 am. It worked out well. We ran a couple of errands around here, had lunch at Southwells, and we were off to Chappell Hill.

When we arrived at Chappell Hill, it was a little more crowded than usual. The MS150 had a practice run out that way. We stopped to take a couple of pictures in town and visit a couple of shops. Our original plan was to eat at Bever's. So glad we ate in Houston. The wait looked long and in fact that evening as we returned to Houston, it was closed because they had run out of food.

We drove out to Washington on the Brazos State Park. The bluebonnets and Indian paint brush were beautiful along the drive. Whole fields were covered in flowers as well as those along the roadside. Once we got to the park, we went to the museum. OK, who am I kidding, we went to the gift shop and bathroom. Then we headed over to the St Claire Monastery to look at the miniature horses the sisters raise.
Here is a nun in stained glass singing Stop in the Name of Love... no, I think this is Sister Claire. The chapel was very simple and seemed to fit right in with a ranch theme. It costs $4.00 to see all the horses etc... We were reminded several times by a person and by signs, not to open the gates or feed the horses. If you opened a gate, you would have to round up the horses. We were told that took about 2 hours to do that.

See this open gate? Someone opened it. It is the entrance to wear the nuns live. I'm not too sure how long it would take to chase and lasso nuns and get them back in. Since we didn't see any nuns, I wasn't tempted to feed one.


This is in the barn, mother and baby. Oh and some future fertilizer.



Baby having lunch, but probably was more like a mid afternoon snack.




This little baby horse loved to be petted. I had taken a much better picture than this, but my camera had a momentary hiccup and the picture is lost to the ages.



There were a bunch of horses outside in the fields. They would come up close to the fence from time to time.



I was tempted to feed these horses, but I resisted the temptation and rewarded myself with a Diet Coke. Roy and I got back on 105 and drove to Farm Road 390 and went a different way to Independence TX. Simply breath taking all the scenery. We got to Independence and the Texas Baptist Museum was open. We were tempted to go, but decided it was too beautiful of a day to be inside a stuffy old church fellowship hall. That is where the museum is located. Instead of going over to the original site of Baylor University, we went across the street to Sam Houston's home. The bluebonnets were bountiful over there.



















Seemed like we timed everything right. We got to places before a lot more people showed up. Here is a man outstanding in his field. Ha ha....couldn't resist that old joke. Roy explored the field and found a place where an animal had dug in for a warm night. He was using all his Boy Scout training. I was totally useless in this. I was a Camp Fire Girl, Wo He Lo (Worship Health,Love) . All I learned to do is go door to door selling candy. Peggy was a Camp Fire Girl too and we can sing the Camp Fire Girl song if you would like us to. Very moving.


After all Roy's tough scouting in the field, we decided it was time to have a little something sweet. So we took 50 into the Brenham Airport and ate at The Southern Flyer. It is 1950's themed even with the waitresses dressing in poodle skirts. Had some great dessert and the sugar gave us enough of a high to keep on keeping on. (Thank you Gladys Knight and the Pips) Before we left of course we both visited the facilities. I waited in line before an older mother and an old daughter... old...ancient of days mother and old grandmotherly type daughter. Now, I know better than to stay in a two holer bathroom when old, old people have just finished eating. How can I say this...Uh fresh wind, fresh fire... and in tandem... I mean I have never heard and it's not like I go around to hear this kind of stuff, but you know tandem wind letting is unusual. They peed at the same time, fresh winded at the same time, peed again at the same time and fresh winded again. Only, it really wasn't a fresh wind and I nearly gagged. When I finally got out of there Roy had been getting worried. He had been waiting for me for a while. He asked what happened and since he has been reading the book Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, that's what I called it. At this point we should have headed straight to Hot Spot Praise Temple. But........
We headed North on 105 and took a back road to hook up to Dillard Road where the Lavender Farm is located. This was Roy's least favorite thing of the day. He sat in the car. I went into the gift shop because last year I found some neat stuff. I was not disappointed this year. I bought some vintage linens for really cheap. A lady who lives out that way goes around looking for linens and then sells them through the store. In a couple of weeks the lavender will be ready for cutting and people are welcome to come out that way and get them some lavender. Roy won't be doing that. It's sad, lavender is one of my favorite fragrances, he doesn't care for the fragrance at all.



I almost forgot. On the way to the Brenham airport, this church sign has always gotten my attention. Yesterday, I decided to pull in and take a picture. How fun would it be to answer the question, "Where do you go to church?" Oh, I go to Hot Spot Praise Temple or HSPT for members in the know. Roy asked me if I would really like to attend a service. Nah, I have a short attention span and I have a feeling the services at this church go on all day. I can hear Bishop Helen telling us Hot Spotters you can't put a clock on the Holy Ghost which to me means, I didn't study for the sermon so I am going to talk on a lot of topics and see which one sticks. I wonder if the chairs are pleather or Naugahyde and thus the name came from hind ends sticking to the seats? To the tune of Donna Summers Hot Stuff.... "Baby gonna go to Hot Spot maybe this evening...Go to Hot Spot and learn about God....Hot hot hot hot spot...hot hot hot hot."


After we left the Lavender Farm, we went back through Chappell Hill and hit 290. Roy was getting a little weary, but surprisingly, I still had energy. So we stopped at DiOrrio Farm and got some fresh veggies. I still wasn't tired, so we stopped at the Premium Outlet Mall at Mason. For a stop Roy wasn't too crazy about, he came out on it OK. Found him some socks, jeans, and t shirts. We left the mall and then stopped at Buc-eesette. Stick Buc-ees but not like the one in Luling. Roy got some Texas Spice Peanuts and we were back on the road. Once we started back into Houston, the tiredness hit me too. We made a quality decision just to find something around home to eat. Glad we did cause I was in bed asleep by 8:30 pm.
Something awoke in me on Tuesday when I heard from the Dr we are taking you off the heart transplant list. New eyes and ears, you know paying attention like I've been reading about. Really, I see life differently and have done so since last September when this particular journey and season began. Yes, I want all the still and contemplative moments I can get, yet the desire to get out and be in God's creation is bigger in me now than ever before. I'm all about getting my projects and tasks done, but if there is an opportunity to drink in the richness and fullness of God in His creation, I'm out the door. Full of gratitude and thanksgiving to God for a new heart, new mercies and new beginnings. I like what Mark Batterson wrote on his blog last week, routine and adventure. Both have their place and both need to be balanced to experience life like God has planned for us.
There are a few more pictures and stories, but I think this is enough for now. I mean really, if you will still read my blog after sharing the "evensong" of the diner and Hot Spot... I am very grateful.












4 comments:

Etta said...

Thanks for giving me a laugh before bedtime Nancy... fresh wind and fresh fire.... crumpled at the tandom thing once I'd recovered from the idea of herding nuns. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What Fun! but i have to confess you wore me out by the time you got to the lavender farm......I'd be waiting in the car too...I think God stretched out the minutes for you two today and you still managed to pack them full of fun! Keep savoring the adventure- one day you are on a bike to nowhere with your pants on backwards and the next day your trusty mustang is taking you in every direction!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

A great laugh that I needed today...plus some beautiful pictures.

Have a great week.

Teresa

Jennifer said...

Wow, you had a really busy day. I don't know how you managed to fit all of that in on 1 trip. We might have to go and see those minature horses. Scott thinks they are hilarious for some reason and I never knew there was a little farm up that way to see them!