Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What in the Sam Hill Are You Saying Doctor?

I've always liked the saying, "what we don't know won't hurt us." I like it, but it isn't always true. Today I have an extraordinary tale to tell of not knowing and it didn't hurt me. Today was my three month check up with the cardiologist. Merely means I go every three months for a look see. Everyone else in Houston must have been seeing their respective Dr's because the line for the parking lot began at the entrance. There were intense lines for all elevators. Once in the Dr office, the line was 4 deep to check in. You know I am trying to stay so calm in the midst of delays in order to have a good blood pressure reading and the like.


My name called by the nurse. I've lost a total of 68 pounds and they are very happy with my workouts and at the rate muscle is forming.

Blood pressure excellent. Heart sounds great. The news that I will have to stay on my medicine for the rest of my life is small in contrast to the good they do in me. Then he said it...

"I'm officially taking your name off the heart transplant list today." He said it so calmly. I reacted with a loud WHAT????? He repeated his statement and then adds, we didn't think there was any other way you were going to recover, a heart transplant looked like a very likely option. Me again, so well versed in the ability to communicate....WHAT?????? Dr says, but you have responded so well and with last time's report and today's check up, I think we can officially take your name off the heart transplant list. Remember, we have told you what you needed to know, when you needed to know.

Praise Jesus! The Lord and I walked out of that office with fierce joy and rejoicing. I believe I was walking on air. Made the follow up appointment for an echo cardiogram in June and the crowds in the elevator and in the garage didn't affect me one bit. I was singing, "how can I keep from singing your name... how amazing is your love! I took a moment in the car to call Roy and a few friends... So much rejoicing in God. Then I cried and thanked the Lord again and again for new mercies every morning. To tell you the truth I kind of wondered about compassion's new every morning just this morning. 7:30 am and my dad is threatening to check out of the hospital because they haven't given him breakfast. Oh like that is going to happen, no ID and $4.00 with him, much less taking out his IV and junk. Really, my dad has made some dumb decisions in his life and it usually involves lack of food. The man needs to carry Power Bars with him. Anyway, Roy spoke to him and got him settled. There isn't any heart surgery until this thorn is removed from his hand and the infection taken care of. There is a whole lot of sermon in that last sentence, but I digress... His surgery is tomorrow morning and he'll be home tomorrow afternoon and my mother's problem. Just kidding, kind of. Praise God! Dad is wearing out Roy and it takes a lot to accomplish that. Jesus is my super hero and Roy isn't too far behind Him.


Praising God and rejoicing in the joy of the Lord!

6 comments:

The Synnott's said...

transplant list.... goodness! so glad you are off the list! :-)

Etta said...

wow Nancy, we've never met, but consider yourself hugged! What a discovery! PTL

Anonymous said...

i'm singing for you too Nancy !! as you said- MUCH BETTER news than you could have ever expected.........a virtual over and above your hopes and prayers....what's that verse about if you can give your children good gifts -how much more will God give to his.....Praise Him! One just never knows for sure exactly what is goin'on up there in the Heavenlies!@#@!

Amanda said...

WHOA!!!

annette said...

Wow, isn't that amazing--you and He make a mighty good team. I am rejoicing with you today--in Morocco. I'll call you next week and maybe we can catch the tail end of the bluebonnets and have a day in the country. Love, Annette

Mauimom1 said...

OH.MY.WORD. That post was responsible for the fact that as I was reading it on my blackberry and drinking a Sonic Dr. Pepper, I choked and managed to get Dr. Pepper all in the crevices of my phone. Praise the Lord for the news on being taken off of the list!Congratulations on your weight loss too! Many hugs from OKC! Missy